Windows 10 - Settings won't open.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

There are two problems I have, one more critical than the other.

1. Settings won't open. From the start menu, from the control panel, from the new notifications menu, from the keyboard shortcut "windows key" + I. The window flashes up on the screen for half a second and then disappears. I've tried every different way of opening it and have rebooted multiple times but nothing works. Any ideas?

2. The sound doesn't work when I plug I headphones. I've tried it with multiple pairs of headphones that all work fine with other equipment and they worked on the same laptop 12 hours earlier when it was still on Windows 7. When you unplug the headphones the sound goes on nice and loud, when you plug them in it dies. Any ideas?

I'm a competent and experienced PC user, but I'm not incredibly technical and I'm fearful of doing anything more without guidance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Same problem also! Well instead of headphone problems I've had microphone problems? XD also try going to control panel > device manager and seeing if you can update any drivers.

edit: try audio drivers!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
1. Settings won't open. From the start menu, from the control panel, from the new notifications menu, from the keyboard shortcut "windows key" + I. The window flashes up on the screen for half a second and then disappears. I've tried every different way of opening it and have rebooted multiple times but nothing works. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums @Spud

Can you please try opening up an admin command prompt (like this) and then run:

"sfc /scannow"

That will check your important system files to see if there are any problems and may end up resolving this for you.

Are you running any antivirus software in the background?

Reaction score
I'm having this issue too so if you can help me too

I'm running AVG 2015 free edition and I'll report back on the admin command prompt

Reaction score
''Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.'' Is what mine came up with

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

I've done some searching on this and it seems that some other people had this problem in earlier builds and it was down as a permissions problem. Do you have just the one user account on the PC?

Could you please go to: right click the start menu > computer management > local users and groups > users and double click the "administrator" user. From here, enable the account again, restart PC and see if you can access the settings panel. It's an odd workaround, but apparently it worked for a few other people.

I would probably do a system refresh to sort the issue once and for all, if possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is only one user Account on the laptop.

There is no option called ''local users and groups'' in the >Computer management< window
IMG_2892.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, it looks like that snap-in is only available to the Pro/Enterprise editions unfortunately :(.

Would you be averse to doing a system refresh to correct any lingering file/permission problems? You'll lose any 3rd party apps, so I'd be sure to have a backup image of your system so you can at least get back to where you were.

Reaction score
No problem. How does one do a system refresh with out the ability to enter settings?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll probably need to do it via the boot menu like this:
  • Click start > Power > HOLD LEFT SHIFT + click restart (this will bring up advanced startup)
  • Click troubleshoot
  • Click reset PC (please, please confirm the data it will remove - I'd hate for anyone to lose data without a backup).

Reaction score
''Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.''

======

The above message was what I got as well after I had run the scan.

Like Louise I tried the fix that faniko posted and it worked perfectly. I can now access the settings menu and the sound works when I don't have headphones plugged in.

Big thanks to faniko. I'm going mark this thread as solved. This is definitely THE solution to the settings menu problem.

Reaction score
Sorry folks, I'm tired at the end of a long day and don't know what I am writing.

1. Not being able to access the settings menu is solved.

2. The sound is still broken. This is where I got mixed up. The sound has ALWAYS worked without headphones. It's when I plug headphones in that I can't hear anything. That issue still needs to be resolved.

Ask a Question