Windows 10 sound issues?

Reaction score
For the past month (starting Jan 24), I’ve been getting a reoccurring sound issue, where my speakers emit a periodic static/crackling/popping sound, while listening to music in iTunes, watching videos, etc.

I’ve been trying everything to fix the issue, even so far as getting a new motherboard for my laptop, yet I still am hearing the problem. Could this be the result of Windows itself, due to a recent update? Or the Realtek audio speakers?

If anyone here can help explain this to me, it’d be much appreciated. Thank you.
- Drew

PS - If this needs to be moved to the hardware or driver boards, feel free to move it. I’m new here, so I’m not entirely sure how to categorize a question/issue like this.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tested with a headset to see if the same issue persists?
OR
Perhaps even bluetooth speaker(s) if your laptop has a bluetooth option?
even so far as getting a new motherboard for my laptop
I wouldn't expect the problem with the realtek audio chipset to persist across two motherboards, especially if the second (as you suggest) is "new".
Laptop speakers, except in some rare instances, are not generally of exceptional quality and I suppose can be damaged if over-driven, but...
Probably more likely because of the way the wires are routed, either the plastic connector may not be seated firmly or the connector and or wires may have some damage at either end or anywhere in-between especially if their are solder joints involved.

Reaction score
Have you tested with a headset to see if the same issue persists?
OR
Perhaps even bluetooth speaker(s) if your laptop has a bluetooth option?

I wouldn't expect the problem with the realtek audio chipset to persist across two motherboards, especially if the second (as you suggest) is "new".
Laptop speakers, except in some rare instances, are not generally of exceptional quality and I suppose can be damaged if over-driven, but...
Probably more likely because of the way the wires are routed, either the plastic connector may not be seated firmly or the connector and or wires may have some damage at either end or anywhere in-between especially if their are solder joints involved.

I did try it with earbuds, so I’m guessing it is something within the computer, rather than (just) the speakers.

Reaction score
You might even keep the Task Manager open to the performance tab to see if any system activity is happening at the time of the static.

Since you weren't specific about the type of audio, we can assume it happens on all types..?

Reaction score
You might even keep the Task Manager open to the performance tab to see if any system activity is happening at the time of the static.

Since you weren't specific about the type of audio, we can assume it happens on all types..?

Yes, it happens (I think) to pretty much all audio types.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I too had a problem with Realtek speakers. I had a driver up date software said my driver needed up dating. Once I did that my speakers had same sounds. Good thing that up date software created a restore point. I went back to time before up date the speaker issue stopped. I have not had a issue since and the software now says nothing about up dating the driver.

Reaction score
I too had a problem with Realtek speakers. I had a driver up date software said my driver needed up dating. Once I did that my speakers had same sounds. Good thing that up date software created a restore point. I went back to time before up date the speaker issue stopped. I have not had a issue since and the software now says nothing about up dating the driver.

What exactly did you restore it back to? And how exactly did you do it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As he indicated in his post.....
Good thing that up date software created a restore point. I went back to time before up date
One might assume that he used System Restore and a particular earlier restore point prior to the update.
Code:
rstrui
IF you don't have a viable restore point prior to
For the past month (starting Jan 24)
You can check Device Manager, expand "Sound, video and game controllers" right click your audio controller and choose properties.
Select the Driver tab along the top and see if the button "Roll Back Driver" is available to you.
Certainly worth investigating.

Reaction score
As he indicated in his post.....
One might assume that he used System Restore and a particular earlier restore point prior to the update.
Code:
rstrui
IF you don't have a viable restore point prior to

You can check Device Manager, expand "Sound, video and game controllers" right click your audio controller and choose properties.
Select the Driver tab along the top and see if the button "Roll Back Driver" is available to you.
Certainly worth investigating.

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll try that stuff later after work.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I happened on use my speakers the same day of the driver up dated. I went back to the date of the up date that was fresh on my lap top. it was there so I went back to that date. The history of the driver up date software says that time was January 16, 2020. I just ran that software now it still says my drivers are up to date. Sound is clear like it was before the issue started Hope this helps you , you may try looking at your restore points, try to remember when your issue started. What was changed or up dated around the same time. I always look at the simple stupid things before changing big things.

Reaction score
I happened on use my speakers the same day of the driver up dated. I went back to the date of the up date that was fresh on my lap top. it was there so I went back to that date. The history of the driver up date software says that time was January 16, 2020. I just ran that software now it still says my drivers are up to date. Sound is clear like it was before the issue started Hope this helps you , you may try looking at your restore points, try to remember when your issue started. What was changed or up dated around the same time. I always look at the simple stupid things before changing big things.

The issue started on Jan 24. Off the top of my head, I can’t remember a specific update that might’ve caused it, but I’ll see if rolling back my audio drive does the trick.

Reaction score
UPDATE

Does anyone know if this might be related to having the 1909 version of Windows 10? As I look around, I think I'm seeing other people also say that they've been having audio issues with that particular version? Would reverting to an older version of Windows 10 possibly fix the issue?

Reaction score
I don't think it is an issue with 1909, unless it happened right after you upgraded. You can only roll back to a previous version within 10 days. To me it sounds like a physical problem with the speakers. If going to your laptop manufactures website and downloading the proper drivers didn't fix the issue, I would guess it's a hardware problem.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
you asked how did I go back to earlier restore point. Its a tricky thing to do with Win 10. You would think it is easy but they have made it difficult. This is what I found out on my own
1582867819737.png

Sorry I am not on my computer all the time did not see your question. the wait for the restore takes some time but it works eventually one time took around 30 minutes.

Reaction score
I don't think it is an issue with 1909, unless it happened right after you upgraded. You can only roll back to a previous version within 10 days. To me it sounds like a physical problem with the speakers. If going to your laptop manufactures website and downloading the proper drivers didn't fix the issue, I would guess it's a hardware problem.

Do you know what I might need to do in order to fix the issue? I had a new motherboard put in, but that apparently didn’t fix anything.

Ask a Question