Windows 10 stuck at 84%

Reaction score
Hi. First post so please treat me gently. As per the title, Win 10 install process will not go past 84%. I'm using the USB stick method. Three attempts have all failed so last night I tried the "automatic" way. Same result. Only clue I momentarily got was the following error code "0xC1900101 0x400D" and some reference to the "second boot" (was not quick enough to get the full message). Can anyone please shed some light on this for me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Parsley and a very "gentle" Welcome to the forum.
Can we assume that this "install" is an Upgrade Installation from within a previous version of Windows?
Typically I would recommend waiting it out, while watching the hard disk activity light to confirm that there was still something going on.
Three attempts have all failed so last night I tried the "automatic" way. Same result.
Did all three previous (or possibly 4 not counting the one on-going) all "fail" by hanging at the same point "84%" in the installation process?
What happened then?
How did you recover?
Did the machine revert back automatically or did you have to recover using some other means?

Reaction score
Hi.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I was updating from win 7. All previous attempts failed at around the same point. I left it going for around 3-5 hours each time and thinking it was not going to work, I force closed the laptop. Each time, on restart it attempted to recover then reverted back to win 7.
At the last attempt I just left it overnight and after around 14 hours (with no obvious hard drive activity) I gave up and managed to get it to revert, again, to win 7. Which is where I am now. Hope this helps.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Laptops can be a bit tricky, especially older Windows 7 laptops.
There are multiple driver issues to consider including Touchpad, Chipset, GPU, Audio as well as possible BIOS updates.
Peripherals that you may attached including any USB devices, USB Dongles supporting wireless devices (Bluetooth, IR or RF) keyboards and mice, etc.,
Third party security suites (AVG, Avira, Avast, McAfee, Norton, Comodo, Zone Alarm, etc., etc.,).
Third party network related software (VPN related software from Cisco or other third party providers)

You may want to consider performing the in-place upgrade from a mounted ISO.
Unfortunately in Windows 7 this is not as straightforward as in later versions of Windows.
Microsoft has a tool which according to everything I can find should work to achieve the desired results.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You bet.
Keep us posted on how things go.

Reaction score
Trouble. Many thanks for your help and advice, but having looked at that solution, I think I'll give it a miss and stick with "7" for the time being. After all "if it aint broke - don't fix it"!!!!!!
Have read good things about "10" and was curious. But as a "silver surfer" think I've just reached that point where I should not keep messing around with things I don't fully understand. But thanks again.

Chris

Reaction score
Still can't resist the temptation to upgrade. Now failed 12 times. Have tried almost every different way to install and every time it sticks at 84%. Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi. First post so please treat me gently. As per the title, Win 10 install process will not go past 84%. I'm using the USB stick method. Three attempts have all failed so last night I tried the "automatic" way. Same result. Only clue I momentarily got was the following error code "0xC1900101 0x400D" and some reference to the "second boot" (was not quick enough to get the full message). Can anyone please shed some light on this for me.
I found that being stuck at 84% is always because of running virus-checking programs (Avast in my case). As soon as I turn off all functionality in Avast, the 84% advanced to 85% straightway, then on to 100% and success at installation.

Reaction score
I too, stopped at 84% when installing an update in Windows 10. The first time I waited almost 24hours, and had to force-restart my computer. Second time I waited 1hour at 84% and it actually managed to completely download. So dunno if lucky or patient.

GH1

Reaction score
Had same problem was stuck overnight upgrading from Win7 Advice from Microsoft tech was Turn it off and back on again. Did so and it resumed from where it had stuck and was finished in an hour

Ask a Question