SOLVED Windows 10 The Logon Prompt Was Disappear(stuck)

Reaction score
good day to all,
sir regedit suggest me to make a thread in order to help pro people in this furom :)

masters somebody help me in fixing my lappy cuz.. the logon bar did'nt from anymore :( so i was stuck on start screen without logon password prompt :(

i use much much time in searching in google and apply it in my lappy but even one trick didn't work out :(

so guys can you give some peace of advice on how to fix this ??

by the way i can access in Safemode :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hello again peymous pH.

I'm surprised no one has offered a comment for you yet.

I guess if I start a possible method, that at least will get some interest in the thread even if it does not resolve your issue.

During the preview releases this issue you are describing arose, and eventually Microsoft resolved it with preview 10158 build. Up till then users were left to try a multitude of ideas to try to get their login box back so they could log in. At the time Microsoft said to press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys, and for some that worked but for many it made no difference the login box still refuse to appear.

Others discovered if they clicked the Network icon at bottom of login screen then clicking back on the main screen their login box magically reappeared. Again this did not work for everyone.

Then came the idea of changing a Registry entry to its off status which appeared to help most people who had tried the previous two ideas with no luck.

I'll walk you through this third option on the off chance you at some stage did have preview builds on your computer and/or your computer is networked to a Domain. For most non domain users, or those who do not install the preview builds this registry entry probably will not exist; and that may also be the case for you too - hence my opening remark that an idea I can suggest may not resolve your issue.

OK, here comes the instructions. I recommend you print this out or email it to yourself so you can view on a phone or other computer while you work on the computer you cannot see your login box with.

Caution: While seemingly simple, please treat this as advanced techniques and follow each instruction very carefully. Failure to do precisely what is listed below in the exact order given could create bigger problems for you.

• If your computer is currently on, shut it down completely.
  • After its been shut down press the power button to start the computer back up and allow it to boot to the Lock Screen.
  • Swipe or click the lock screen so as to view your logon screen.
  • If the password box is still missing, then left-click ONCE on power icon at bottom of screen. When you see the three choices, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart then press & hold down your left SHIFT key and click on Restart
  • Your computer will now shutdown and restart and boot to the Recovery Screen. On this screen click Troubleshoot.
  • On the next screen click Advanced Options then select Command Prompt.
  • Your computer will shutdown again then take a little longer then usual to boot. You'll see a message telling you Windows is preparing a Command Prompt, then a screen will appear asking you to select an admin account. Choose one, and enter the password for that account. Once entered you will be taken to the special command prompt.
  • At the command prompt type regedit then press Enter key
  • You will now see the Registry Editor window pop open. On the left pane click once on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE so it is highlighted. Now in top tool bar click File > Load Hive
  • A window will pop up. At top is a box called Look in: Click the drop arrow for this box and select Drive D:

Note: If you have more than one drive in your computer you may need to select drive E: or something else

• Now navigate to Windows\System32\Config by double-clicking, Windows folder, then double-clicking System32 folder, then double-clicking Config folder. Once inside the Config folder, select Software then click Open
  • You will be requested to give the key a name. You can call it what you like, but simple is best, so let's name it softW then click OK. Do not name it software as this all ready exists in the Registry!
  • Now you are back at the Registry window. In the left pane double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand, then continue expanding to following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— softW
— Microsoft
— Windows
— CurrentVersion
— Authentication
— LogonUI
TestHooks
  • Left-click on that Thresholds to view its content in the right pane and if you see the value Thresholds there with a Data value of 0x00000001 (1) then right-click on Thresholds and choose Modify then change the 1 to a 0 and click OK

Note: This may not be present at all for you and that is perfectly fine. It is not normally present but used to be with some of the Preview builds and if you are connected to a Domain.

Sample Image

Untitled.png

• Whether or not Thresholds was present the next thing to do is click anywhere inside left pane of Registry then press Home key. This will auto scroll you to top and now simply left-click on softW which you previously loaded to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\softW. With the softW key now highlighted in the top tool bar click File > Unload hive then click Yes
  • Close the Registry Editor
  • Back in the command prompt window type Exit then press Enter key
  • Now click Continue on the Recovery screen which will allow the computer to boot normally to your lock screen.

If that Thresholds value was present and you now modified it, you ought to be able to logon now.

If it was not present, then I assume you still cannot see the password box on your logon screen. If that is the case then report back so I or someone else can offer the next idea to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. I can log to the lattitude e6430 when i boot it but when my computer goes to sleep and ask for a password again box will not show up. This computer is new nothing is installed yet just windows with the last update 1607 i think. I cant remove the lock screen because we are more then one user on this computer. I try all the old fix i think but nothing help i flash the bios, i install the laptop new driver, i contact dell they give me garbage support with an answer that doesn't fit at all my problem. I forgot my sister have the same exact computer and she have the same problem.

Thx for your help.

Reaction score
My Pc has "repaired" my drive C during the last start. After that i get the same problem as it's mentioned here. But in my case the Thresholds value wasn't present. By the way the shift and restart just worked once i tried like a hundret times but the pc just restart.

Reaction score
Theres no Threshold in my computer. After i follow the steps and reboot still mo login prompt :(

Reaction score
Theres no Threshold in my computer. After i follow the steps and reboot still mo login prompt :( its been a month now since this issue appeared :(

Reaction score
Theres no Threshold in my computer. After i follow the steps and reboot still mo login prompt :( its been a month now since this issue appeared :(
Im having a similiar issue. Were you able to resolve this?

Reaction score
Hello again peymous pH.

I'm surprised no one has offered a comment for you yet.

I guess if I start a possible method, that at least will get some interest in the thread even if it does not resolve your issue.

During the preview releases this issue you are describing arose, and eventually Microsoft resolved it with preview 10158 build. Up till then users were left to try a multitude of ideas to try to get their login box back so they could log in. At the time Microsoft said to press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys, and for some that worked but for many it made no difference the login box still refuse to appear.

Others discovered if they clicked the Network icon at bottom of login screen then clicking back on the main screen their login box magically reappeared. Again this did not work for everyone.

Then came the idea of changing a Registry entry to its off status which appeared to help most people who had tried the previous two ideas with no luck.

I'll walk you through this third option on the off chance you at some stage did have preview builds on your computer and/or your computer is networked to a Domain. For most non domain users, or those who do not install the preview builds this registry entry probably will not exist; and that may also be the case for you too - hence my opening remark that an idea I can suggest may not resolve your issue.

OK, here comes the instructions. I recommend you print this out or email it to yourself so you can view on a phone or other computer while you work on the computer you cannot see your login box with.

Caution: While seemingly simple, please treat this as advanced techniques and follow each instruction very carefully. Failure to do precisely what is listed below in the exact order given could create bigger problems for you.

• If your computer is currently on, shut it down completely.
  • After its been shut down press the power button to start the computer back up and allow it to boot to the Lock Screen.
  • Swipe or click the lock screen so as to view your logon screen.
  • If the password box is still missing, then left-click ONCE on power icon at bottom of screen. When you see the three choices, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart then press & hold down your left SHIFT key and click on Restart
  • Your computer will now shutdown and restart and boot to the Recovery Screen. On this screen click Troubleshoot.
  • On the next screen click Advanced Options then select Command Prompt.
  • Your computer will shutdown again then take a little longer then usual to boot. You'll see a message telling you Windows is preparing a Command Prompt, then a screen will appear asking you to select an admin account. Choose one, and enter the password for that account. Once entered you will be taken to the special command prompt.
  • At the command prompt type regedit then press Enter key
  • You will now see the Registry Editor window pop open. On the left pane click once on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE so it is highlighted. Now in top tool bar click File > Load Hive
  • A window will pop up. At top is a box called Look in: Click the drop arrow for this box and select Drive D:

Note: If you have more than one drive in your computer you may need to select drive E: or something else

• Now navigate to Windows\System32\Config by double-clicking, Windows folder, then double-clicking System32 folder, then double-clicking Config folder. Once inside the Config folder, select Software then click Open
  • You will be requested to give the key a name. You can call it what you like, but simple is best, so let's name it softW then click OK. Do not name it software as this all ready exists in the Registry!
  • Now you are back at the Registry window. In the left pane double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand, then continue expanding to following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— softW
— Microsoft
— Windows
— CurrentVersion
— Authentication
— LogonUI
TestHooks
  • Left-click on that Thresholds to view its content in the right pane and if you see the value Thresholds there with a Data value of 0x00000001 (1) then right-click on Thresholds and choose Modify then change the 1 to a 0 and click OK

Note: This may not be present at all for you and that is perfectly fine. It is not normally present but used to be with some of the Preview builds and if you are connected to a Domain.

Sample Image

View attachment 4010
  • Whether or not Thresholds was present the next thing to do is click anywhere inside left pane of Registry then press Home key. This will auto scroll you to top and now simply left-click on softW which you previously loaded to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\softW. With the softW key now highlighted in the top tool bar click File > Unload hive then click Yes
  • Close the Registry Editor
  • Back in the command prompt window type Exit then press Enter key
  • Now click Continue on the Recovery screen which will allow the computer to boot normally to your lock screen.

If that Thresholds value was present and you now modified it, you ought to be able to logon now.

If it was not present, then I assume you still cannot see the password box on your logon screen. If that is the case then report back so I or someone else can offer the next idea to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

"If that Thresholds value was present and you now modified it, you ought to be able to logon now"

I modified the value and still can't get the sign-in box to appear. Startup repair can't fix the issue. There is a system restore point roughly 24 hours before problem began but the restore process fails.

I ran sfc/scannow but no problems were found. I checked the drive for errors but none were found.

I ran all the bootrec commands but the sign-in box still does not show.

The problem is with my apx 2010 Sony laptop that came with Windows 7 Home Premium but was updated to Windows 10 Home. I'm now running Build 1703

Ask a Question