Windows 10 Update Problems

Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching around everywhere and can't seem to find any solution to my problem. Since I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 last year, I have had a number of problems with my laptop - most of which were manageable until recently.

Back in August 2017, there was an update that occurred, that somehow messed with my Wi-Fi settings. Whenever I start up my computer, the Wi-Fi is turned on. I have to manually turn it on. It will attempt to connect, successfully connect, but then after a few seconds, it will disconnect, and my Wi-Fi will be turned off again. This process of turning on the Wi-Fi, getting connected for a few seconds before disconnecting again, occurs many times, until finally it decides to stabilise. However, if when I turn on my computer, I will have to go through the same process all over again. Also, if I ever disconnect, or connect a peripheral, such as my mouse, or the power cord, or even if I attach a USB or HDMI cable, the Wi-Fi will shut off, and the process will have to begin again.

This has been incredibly frustrating for the past couple months, but because I've been so busy with work, I haven't had the time to properly check into it or try to fix it. I've tried a system restore, but there is no restore point to before the August 2017 update.

The above, is the main issue that I would like resolved. Any help is appreciated!

Below, are some other issues, that if anyone has any solutions, would be great!

The November 2017 update, never actually goes through. I don't know if its related to the above issue of the Wi-Fi being turned off.. but the update will make it all the way to 99% before it just hangs. I tried leaving my laptop on for 4 days, to see if maybe it was just taking a long time, but no luck. The update continued to hang at 99%. Any fixes or ideas?

Less pressing of an issue, is the fact that whenever i try to shut down my computer, it will often times hang at the "shutting down" screen. There have been a few times where I get lucky, and the system shuts down on its own. But other times, when it gets stuck, the screen will flash, and then just remain in the "shutting down" screen. I have to press and hold the power button for it to shut down. Any fixes on this?

Sorry for the long post. Thank you to anyone and everyone who helps out.

Ask a Question