Windows 10 update

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and have a question have just got a dell latitude 6400 with windows 7 professional and would like to upgrade to windows 10. Have the windows 10 icon at the bottom of the screen but when I open this it just tells me it will inform me when windows 10 is ready to download. Been a couple of weeks now. Also are there any problems if I do upgrade, thanking you for your time nick

Reaction score
I'm just a novice at this but here's a hint about what I learned the hard way. Be very particular about keeping track of Product Keys which are 25 digit numbers on the back of the computer case or elsewhere in packaging.

I updated a Dell from 8.1 to 10 with no problem because it was starting from an approved source.
But going from 7 pro to 10 on another laptop I ran into problems getting 10 activated because I didn't keep track of a relevant product key. I wound up purchasing one from Microsoft and in hindsight that could have been avoided if I had been smarter.

If you have the GWX icon on taskbar that's a great start, Someone else on the forum can chime in with a link for download, Most of them are better informed than me.

Reaction score
If you are referring to the operating systems 25 digit serial number (product key), it is listed in the Speccy utility so is very easy to find. The Windows 10 Operating Systems 20 digit product ID is listed in Windows 10 {Settings/System/About). Speccy fails to list the Product ID.

An interesting feature of Speccy is it's Search feature. For example click View/Find and type in Serial Number and Serial Number is highlighted so it is easy to find.

Belarc has both of these keys listed.

Clifford Cooley points out however, that Speccy does not always list the correct number so Speccy is useless in this regard.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Windows 10 Operating Systems 20 digit Product key is listed in Windows 10 {Settings/System/About).
The key is not listed there. The key is not the same thing as Product ID.

Speccy fails to list the Product Key (you can correct me if I am wrong).
Speccy does list the correct key, but I have noticed an incorrect listing at times.

An application I like to use for COA Key lookup is ProduKey.

Reaction score
Right. I said Product key but meant Product ID. The serial number is actually the "product key". I corrected it in the post.

What good is Speccy if its information is suspect?

Last edited:
Reaction score
To get W10 free upgrade you have to use the Windows update method BEFORE you can download and make media for a clean install. And of course always to a full backup before the update.

At this point Nick I'd wait until the TH2 update is done next week and then upgrade to W10.

Reaction score
To get W10 free upgrade you have to use the Windows update method BEFORE you can download and make media for a clean install. And of course always to a full backup before the update.
Your bold "BEFORE" text is not true. You can upgrade with the media you create from the Media Creation Tool. Needing to upgrade before performing a clean install is true. However they both can be done from the downloaded media.

Reaction score
What good is Speccy if its information is suspect?
Speccy reports what the system is telling it. So Speccy is illustrating a problem with Windows. That is not a problem with Speccy. Note that factory made computers have the ID burned into the UEFI bios. So that is what Speccy is probably reporting. That does not make other data in Speccy suspect.

Reaction score
I downloaded Speccy and it ain't bad. I'll hang onto it for a while. I also like Belarc which also shows product keys. I went thru Belarc and consolidated all product keys for all OS's I have AFTER purchasing from Microsoft. Brilliant huh?

i used media creation tool to copy an ISO to a USB drive then used that to download 10. That was where i got lost. Since 10 was not activated i didn't know what else to do so i purchased a product key. Things have changed since so that's no longer necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question