Windows 10 Updated...programs missing but open files?

Reaction score
Hi, I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 this week. I migrated my files over to my desktop from the windows.old folder. I then turned my pc off. I turned it on a few minutes later and the files on my desktop were gone and windows old folder empty. I look at my hard drive and it suggests about 100gb is used but I have no files available. The 'recent' section shows the files i was using before i turned my pc off but now they say the file is no longer located there.

I know lots of people have had this problem.

What I find odd us that none of my programs are visible too...but when i open a word document from the internet it opens using word so I know that word is still installed on my pc but when i search for it it only shows word viewer.

I know my files are still on my pc but I just cant access them. Ive read about being logged in as the wrong user but I seem to be the only user on the system? Ive searched for days for advice - can you help?

Reaction score
Hi, I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 this week. I migrated my files over to my desktop from the windows.old folder. I then turned my pc off. I turned it on a few minutes later and the files on my desktop were gone and windows old folder empty. I look at my hard drive and it suggests about 100gb is used but I have no files available. The 'recent' section shows the files i was using before i turned my pc off but now they say the file is no longer located there.

I know lots of people have had this problem.

What I find odd us that none of my programs are visible too...but when i open a word document from the internet it opens using word so I know that word is still installed on my pc but when i search for it it only shows word viewer.

I know my files are still on my pc but I just cant access them. Ive read about being logged in as the wrong user but I seem to be the only user on the system? Ive searched for days for advice - can you help?
Before you venture down this Highway, did you happen to make a Backup image using Mcarium Reflect or some such backup program to backup an image of Windows 7? If you did I would restore it. You are not supposed to migrate anything from Windows .Old. That is why you cannot see your files. If you did not make a backup and you still have windows.old try to restore your system from that. From what I have read , it does not always work. For future reference before any major upgrade Backup, backup and Backup. Good luck to you.

Reaction score
As Gideon says!
If you went through the correct methods for upgrading, there would have been little need to "migrate" your files. One thing that MS (almost) got right - the files remain intact. The whole purpose, in this instance, of the windows .old folder is to enable you to return to your previous OS, should Windows 10 not be to your liking

Reaction score
Hi, i may have used the wrong words here... I just used the microsoft wizard to transfer my files after doing the update. I thought that was called migrating. I did exactly what Microsoft told me to and I do have a back up - i just want to find the files on my computer so I can understand what happened.

I still have windows.old - how do I restore from it? It appears to be empty?

Reaction score
Hi, Ive just read this....I used the troubleshooter to transfer my files: Microsoft has recently introduced a new troubleshooter, which you can grab from the Windows site, that automatically moves all your files in the Windows.old folder to the corresponding locations within your new Windows installation.

I can't find where my files are though and the windows.old folder is empty?

Reaction score
Ok I think I may have worked this out a bit more... when i ran the troubleshooter to automatically transfer my files to the correct locations the files still didnt seen to have appeared. I looked in the windows.old folder and as I looked at the screen my files slowly populated that folder. I was really pleased so highlighted the folders and dragged them across to the desktop. I then worked on them then turned my pc off. When i turned it back on the files had all gone from the desktop but they still showed in my recent files hower when i click on them from there it says the payh is invalid. Im suspecting windows has moved them elsewhere on my computer but ive searched and cant find them...

Reaction score
Ok I think I may have worked this out a bit more... when i ran the troubleshooter to automatically transfer my files to the correct locations the files still didnt seen to have appeared. I looked in the windows.old folder and as I looked at the screen my files slowly populated that folder. I was really pleased so highlighted the folders and dragged them across to the desktop. I then worked on them then turned my pc off. When i turned it back on the files had all gone from the desktop but they still showed in my recent files hower when i click on them from there it says the payh is invalid. Im suspecting windows has moved them elsewhere on my computer but ive searched and cant find them...
If you did a proper upgrade, there would have not been a need to transfer anything as the upgrade process does this automatically. At this point in time since it appears that you do not have back up image I would try one of the following:
1. Re Install Windows 7
2. If your Windows 10 is activated, try to find a .ISO file and burn it to a DVD.
3. You can then try a repair
4. You can clean install Windows 10 which I would recommend at this point.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I genuinely did install it properly - I worked through it step by step. Ive googled the issue and it seems to happen to lots of people. Thanks again, ill try to sort it with your last advice

Ask a Question