Windows 10 Upgrade for a notebook Nvidia Geforce 7150/NForce 630M

Reaction score
I have a HP DV9700 notebook. It originally came with Vista and I was able to upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate with service pack 1. I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 and was given the following message: unfortunately,this PC is unable to run Windows 10. Compatibility issue, Nvidia Geforce 7150/nforce 630m the display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatibility with Windows 10. I have seen on the HP community page that there were several posts on the same issue,but only in regards to desktops,not laptops. This included several links for driver updates and work around for installing Windows 10. What I am hoping to find is a link for the Nvidia Geforce update and a link for the work around if needed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Scott and welcome to the forum.
Be careful when upgrading drivers for laptops, very often even driver's from nVidia will not work on some laptops.
You can use their auto scan search or drill down for your 630m drivers here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Sometimes there is a slight difference in the actual chipset which has been customized specifically for a particular hardware vendor, in your case HP and then your best source would be HP for their driver.

Now is when we get to see capitalism at its' finest.
Will HP actually take the time to work with nVidia to develop an updated driver for their laptops, or.......
Are they more interested in perhaps getting you to buy something newer.

Reaction score
Thanks much for the time and thought. I posted my question on a few blogs including HP's. Keep in mind this is a older laptop. I doubt that HP would even support anything to with it anymore. I was just trying to see if I can get it updated or not. It still runs good for me. Thanks again.

Ask a Question