Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck - Can't Recover Or Start Again

Reaction score
Ok. Actually my computer is a laptop (Toshiba "Satellite" C655). I have nothing plugged into except the power cable. It has wifi connectivity built into it and connects wirelessly with a router which also connects my wife's tower PC into the "network". At the moment of course, it can't connect to the network or anything else, it would appear.

Was just sitting there blinking at me, so I did a "Hard" shutdown (held down on/off button) then re-started after 60 secs. Got a background picture (wow, never seen that before!), plus (bottom rt hand corner) a language icon,a wifi icon (lit up as if connected), a start/power button and a cursor. it sat there for a min or two, just looking at me and then changed to the welcome screen, but this time with a "Sign In" box. I don't normally have to sign in, since my nephew changed the set-up for me a couple of years ago, I usually just have to hit Enter. Tried Enter a dozen times, nothing. Did alt+Ctrl +del and got usual flashing screen with the Task Manager menu.

Does any of this info change anything for you? I fear not?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand exactly what is going on now.
Are you saying that you cannot login to the computer because you don't know the password?
When you were booting into safemode were you entering a password?
It sounds a bit like perhaps some updates managed to install at some point during all the hub-bub and may have fixed something that needed addressing, like your video card driver or perhaps another system update.

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion.

No, the lack of a password is not causing a problem. Since I saw that "Picture+Sign-In" screen that one time, about 3 hours ago, I've been in and out of re-boots multiple times since, in both Normal and Safe modes, and only seen that background picture screen (of "Los Arcos" down at Los Cabos, in the Baca peninsular, if that helps)) once and it was accompanied by a Sign In request. Not happened since on either a restart via Task Manager or via Power button.

Even when I couldn't enter a password on that one occasion, after a minute or so, it still proceeded to the semi-blank Start-Up screen described at 2. above in my earlier message, which then proceeded to flash after about 3 mins, as per usual.

What do you think? Time to do a revert to W7 and start all over again? I'm monopolizing too much of your time. Is it possible for me to contact Microsoft and have them "take control" of my laptop and do a fix for me?

Reaction score
I am sorry to jump in Covkid but I had a similar problem with the black screen so I have been following this thread hoping for an answer to what went wrong. I spent over an hour on the phone with Microsoft tech support which accomplished nothing other than the gentleman I worked with offering to transfer me to a tech that could fix it for a $238.98 fee. I declined the offer. I actually ended up just hanging up on him because he was so aggressively pushing that solution and I couldn't get a word in edgewise anymore. Maybe you would have better luck.
I eventually ended up doing a factory restore to Windows 8.1 after nothing worked.
I will continue to follow your discussion with the very helpful Trouble and maybe learn something about what may have gone wrong.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try a clean boot first before you do anything else.
Follow the instructions for Windows 8 / 8.1 here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Basically what you are going to need to do is launch task manager, disable all startup items, then go back into msconfig and deselect Safe boot from the Boot Tab, make sure Normal Startup is selected from the General Tab and
THEN.....
Go to the Services Tab and Check the Box that says "Hide all Microsoft services" (you don't want to disable those), after the box is checked, select disable all button for those remaining.
Click OK and reboot the system.
I REPEAT..... check the box that says "Hide Microsoft services" do not hit the disable all button until Microsoft services are hidden.

Let us know if that makes any difference at all with the screen flashing problem.

Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not alone kbennett65 - misery loves company!

Ok, my friend Trouble, Just wanted to clarify that I had Windows 7 on my laptop before trying this w10 upgrade. Are your instructions going to install 7, 8 or 10? Not that I care as long as I get a working machine!

Now more spoon feeding I'm afraid:
Am I to do your paragraph 1 instructions re //support.Microsoft first or go straight into the 2nd para instructions, or are they both tha same or am I just plain stupid

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My instructions.... such as they are, are a simple wording of the instructions in the link that I posted above, there is not much difference I just thought that since you were coming from a safe mode condition you might need the extra helping hand.
Pretty simple actually, but because you are booting in safe mode, slightly different than the MS canned explanation (you need to uncheck Safe Boot, set for normal boot and then make the changes to the services tab, which will change to selective startup.
AND
The more I explain the more it seems difficult and it's really not, but.....
You might be better off if you just revert back to your previous OS.
Just please make sure you have all critical data safely backed up on an external resource.

Reaction score
Ok, that helps a lot. Thanks! I think I understand, but it's very late now for you in IN and additionally my brain is beginning to get very tired (because it's now past its regularly scheduled beer injection) and that is certainly not a smart time to start making it undertake complicated tasks.

I therefore think that I should put everything on hold right now, especially as I still have two questions left concerning important stuff, like 'backups' and 'disabling startup items'.

I shall return tomorrow and, if you're daft enough to answer my new message, continue to drive you crazy!

Either way, thanks so much for your "patience and perseverance" in getting me this far!

Reaction score
Hi, there Trouble! Unfortunately for you, I'm back!

I've taken a good look at the info on the //support.microsoft.com link you sent me, and your supporting explanation, and it doesn't look overly complicated or scary now that my brain is no longer hurting, provided of course that I don't forget to check the Hide Microsoft Services box! I therefore reckon that I should have a go at doing the Clean Boot. Additionally, since that link also gives separate directions for Windows 7, I should be fine.

One question: When you say "make sure you have all critical data saved ....", do you just mean the stuff in my "Libraries" folder, like the Documents, Music, Pictures, etc., folders or do you mean I must do a total backup of the whole machine, including Program files et al.

I have backed up my Libraries stuff, but the rest of it presents a bit of a challenge, since the "Back-up" option I have used in the past appears to have disappeared in Safe Mode.

If I go ahead without the backup, Does this mean I'll lose all my Apps, etc?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You should be able to go ahead with the Clean Boot settings without any risk.
It's easily reversible by just going back and switching back what you have changed (enable startup items and after hiding Microsoft services re-enabling those as well).
When you say "make sure you have all critical data saved ....", do you just mean the stuff in my "Libraries" folder, like the Documents, Music, Pictures, etc., folders or do you mean I must do a total backup of the whole machine, including Program files et al.
I mean any and all data you consider critical (music, docs, email, pictures, spreadsheets, etc.)
I use Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/ there is a link on that page for a free trial although I don't know what the time constraints might be.
The reason I've been using it for years is that it provides (in addition to many other features) a means to boot your machine from its' own "Rescue Media" and perform a full disk image from that environment, independent of whether or not your machine your current operating system works properly or even boots at all.
There are any number of other options which I listed here https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/ ,but.....
I cannot speak to their effectiveness or how robust their individual feature set might or might not be.

Reaction score
Oh, and one more question: seeing as I now seem to have Windows 10 installed on my machine (tiles and things) which just isn't working properly, do I need to follow the W8 instructions or the W7 ones? Or are there a different set of W10 instructions? Or are they all basically the same and I should stop fretting and just get on and do it?

Finally, I now have to run out and do some errands ( before the missus gets back and stops my pocket money for not doing my chores in a timely fashion). I'll be back in about 2 hours. Sorry!

Reaction score
Sorry, our last 2 messages seem to have crossed. That "True Image" software sounds great! As soon as I get an Internet capability restored, I'll get it. But until then I'll just have to go with what I've got. Will do the Clean reboot when I get back and report the results. Sorry for the delay again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try a clean boot first before you do anything else.
Follow the instructions for Windows 8 / 8.1 here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
There is very little difference between the various versions of Windows and how you perform a clean boot. The exception seems only to be .....
How you disable "Start Up items" since windows 8 you have to use the Start Up tab in task manager. Before Windows 8 you used the Start Up tab in msconfig. I'm pretty sure that, that is the only difference.

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm finally back (had problems with a lost passport!)

Regretfully I have to report that the Clean Boot didn't make a difference - same old minimalist W10 flashing screen. Ugh!

Do we now do the "revert to Windows 7 IOS now? If so, how?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can try to do it from within Safe Mode, it may work.
Start Button -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Go Back

If not then you will need to boot from the installation media and attempt the same thing which you should find in the Advanced Troubleshooting options, on the screen after you get past the choose a language and keyboard layout screen and click the Repair Your PC link.

Reaction score
Yay! Success! Brilliant, Trouble! You're a genius, sir, a veritable font of knowledge!!

I now have a working laptop, very happily running its old pal Windows 7 and rejoicing at finding all its prior programs and other data.

Oh, and irony of ironies, guess what was emblazoned across the start-up screen. A huge banner exhorting me to upgrade to Windows 10!!!! I gotta tell you, those guys at MS really do have a sick sense of humor!

Anyway, again, thank you so VERY MUCH!

Oh, and the missus is pleased too - she says now I can finally get some work done, instead of "playing on my computer all week"!

Keep up the good work, sir, and I promise not to bug you again until I'm finally forced (by an MS deadline, no doubt), to try to upgrade again. Or perhaps you'd rather I chose someone else to drive crazy when that occasion arises?

Les

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that at long last you've at least managed some small degree of success.
Probably a good time to follow up with that Disk Image and keeping it current. Maybe a new one once every week or so depending on changes / updates / upgrades.

Ask a Question