Windows 10 Upgrade

Reaction score
I have upgraded my tablet from win8.1 to win10, however I cannot now get any updated as the HD is at 21.9gb and only 1.54gb free. I have installed a 64gb card which now shows as D: drive. but still won't complete the updates. I thought of deleting the OS from the HD and then installing a fresh copy of win10, however Microsoft tell me it needs 16gb to work, so I wouldn't be any better of, my last thought was to have the HD swapped for a larger drive. Any help or info would be appreciated please.

Reaction score
The suggestions I have seen are to run Disk Cleanup or attach an external drive.

During your upgrade from 8.1 to 10, there may have been folders added to your system. One might be a Windows.old folder and another might be a hidden $Windows.~BT. These folders contain archives of install files and your old files. If they are there you might be able to remove them, if you choose to do so, using Disk Cleanup from Explorer Drive Tools-Management. Make sure and do a run for System Files.

I am not familiar with requirements for either an external or internal type of drive, but the message I saw in the link below did not mention an internal drive.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...gh-space/dd044ab9-6994-4b94-a061-2851ad1418f9

Reaction score
I suppose I should mentioned that if you have already downloaded the update, it might be in the $Windows folder. Possibly downloading the .iso file and creating installation media might be a better idea. I will look for a current link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

If you want to use the media creation tool for the download you can search for that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried running disc clean up and attached both external drive and installed a 64gb card in expansion slot, but the upgrade still requires 4gb of the c drive to complete, there is only 1.61gb free.

Reaction score
I guess I don't really have an answer for you. Only you know what is on your drives you might be able to remove or at least move to the 64 GB card. Since the link I included warns of keeping the drive you use for the overflow should be kept in order to go back to the Original OS, I might even think they were referring to the Windows.old folder.

I suppose there is a possibility, if the update had already started, it might be stuck in that mode, but I can only guess. Maybe someone with a tablet would have a better idea. I don't suppose there are any options available which would tell the install to use another location?

If you want, make sure your system shows the hidden files and attach a snipping tool picture of your C: directory. Maybe someone will notice something.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Only you know what is on your drives you might be able to remove or at least move to the 64 GB card.
Exactly.... AND
the upgrade still requires 4gb of the c drive to complete, there is only 1.61gb free.
You are obviously going to have to free up some space on C.
A Windows.OLD folder alone can consume in excess of 10 gigs and the $Windows.~BT can often be in the neighborhood of 3 Gigs, but.....
You need both of those if you ever want to roll back you install to your previous OS or a previous build.

You're going to be the one who has to decide because you are the one who will suffer the consequences if there are actually any.

I just went through a similar problem with my son's surface pro.
I ended up having to use the dos prompt to copy off his profile onto an SD card and then reset the OS (keep nothing). He had to reinstall all his programs again

Ask a Question