windows 10 will not update

Reaction score
After three atttempts still cannot get W10 to update, the first two attempts kept getting the error message 80070005, I used the Troubleshooting and it solved the problem but it still would not update. Last attempt went through white box which said to install, it has been five hours now and it still hasn't asked me what bit I want - 32 or 64 so I have cancelled it. Am running W8.1 Pro on 64bit, 4gb ram Laptop. I was previously running Windows 7 Home but upgraded to W8.1 Pro.

I also have a desktop unit but decided to update the laptop first. Updated the security updates for W8.1 first, did a system image on an external HD.

Any suggestions please. Will not get back here until tomorrow to check for any answers as I am mid-seventies and its getting past my bedtime (LOL).

Reaction score
Try this method instead.................

1. Download the media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That will create a Win 10 ISO.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. This method does not require it ).

3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin. This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
This method does not require product key.
Activation will be automatic.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your quick reply David. Have downloaded the MCT for 64bit but have tried numerous times and it will not open.

Ask a Question