Windows 10 won't boot up

Reaction score
After closing down computer the other day, when trying to switch back on Windows start screen comes on with 4 squares and rotating dots, but the screen then just goes black or white with no mouse pointer.

I have tried F8 which goes into recovery mode and I have tried all repair modes, but none of them work.

Please help as it must surely be something to do with Windows as I can go into recovery mode.

Reaction score
After closing down computer the other day, when trying to switch back on Windows start screen comes on with 4 squares and rotating dots, but the screen then just goes black or white with no mouse pointer.

I have tried F8 which goes into recovery mode and I have tried all repair modes, but none of them work.

Please help as it must surely be something to do with Windows as I can go into recovery mode.

------------

If you create System Restore Points, you can try a System Restore. ... One thing you should consider (though it's too late for your current problem) is a good image backup program. I use Shadow Protect Desktop from Storage Craft. It's highly recommended and easy to use.

Reaction score
------------

If you create System Restore Points, you can try a System Restore. ... One thing you should consider (though it's too late for your current problem) is a good image backup program. I use Shadow Protect Desktop from Storage Craft. It's highly recommended and easy to use.
I don't have any system restore points, as I haven't created any since Windows 10 installed and I've tried the other fixes on F8 recovery options.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you have exhausted all the advanced trouble shooting options, including Startup Settings that should allow you to boot into safe mode, your options at this point are extremely limited.
Do you have any external peripheral devices connected to the computer, any USB devices especially any supporting Bluetooth / Wireless (mice, keyboards or network adapters) if so you might try disconnecting them and see if the computer will boot.
IS this a laptop or desktop?
Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, part number, etc., might help. Maybe someone with the same or similar computer may have some information to share.

Reaction score
IF you have exhausted all the advanced trouble shooting options, including Startup Settings that should allow you to boot into safe mode, your options at this point are extremely limited.
Do you have any external peripheral devices connected to the computer, any USB devices especially any supporting Bluetooth / Wireless (mice, keyboards or network adapters) if so you might try disconnecting them and see if the computer will boot.
IS this a laptop or desktop?
Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, part number, etc., might help. Maybe someone with the same or similar computer may have some information to share.
It's an Acer Aspire AX1301 desktop and I have wireless mouse and keyboard attached. I have disconnected keyboard and mouse, but still just get the "window" with rotating dots below, then it goes to a black screen.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you connect a wired USB Keyboard and see if.....
While at the "black screen" the computer will respond to the
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Keyboard combination?
Which might allow you to launch Task Manager.....

Reaction score
Can you connect a wired USB Keyboard and see if.....
While at the "black screen" the computer will respond to the
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Keyboard combination?
Which might allow you to launch Task Manager.....
I've tried wired keyboard, but still nothing with ctrl+alt+delete, the screen still goes to black or white.
When I power on, I don't seem to be getting the "delete" or "F2" options anymore and "F8" doesn't take me to recovery, it just goes straight to the Window with rotating dots.

I've just powered on again and it's just staying on the window with rotating dots and isn't going to black or white screen.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have tried all repair modes, but none of them work.
Sorry, but at this point if you did not make a disk image of your previous install and the "Go Back to" option doesn't work either, then.... I think you are going to have to consider a custom clean install of Windows 10.
You can use the command prompt to copy off your profile folder(s) to external media. Those should contain most of your data (pics, docs, desktop, downloads, videos, etc.) or you could boot to a Linux distro Live CD and use that to copy off your data.
I typically use this one
http://mate.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205
Grab the ISO from a geographically convenient location and burn it to a DVD using ImgBurn and boot your computer with that.
Don't install it, just use the live environment to grab your files.

Reaction score
Your comments about the 4 squares means something similar to a Windows 7 boot or the icons used in a recovery scenario?

I would advise doing at least 3 colds boots and let the system work for a while each time. Then shut the system down and wait until the next day to start it.

We are seeing this situation in several posts. Something has messed with the boot files but we don't know what. I was wondering, if the system had been upgraded from an earlier version of Windows, had the OEM placed some type of auto repair which was trying to take it back to that earlier OS.

If it isn't something like that, possibly some type of corruption in the boot files or the location of the boot files not being identified correctly.

I would replace the hard drive (disconnect the original drive) and install Windows 10 cleanly. Then use the original drive as a secondary drive to recover any personal data you may want. You can always try reconnecting the original drive at some future time to see if it would boot.

If you don't want to go that way, using the Install media as mentioned will allow you to boot into the Recovery system and try the repair from there.

Reaction score
It was Windows 7, but upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago and has been fine. I think it installed some updates a few days ago and it hasn't booted up since .

I have just got into "F8" recovery mode and tried system restore and going back to earlier date, but neither work.

I do have a laptop, so is it possible to use that to make a Windows 10 boot disc? I'm not clued up on repairing computers.

Reaction score
You can use another computer to create the install media, but you can't make an actual recovery drive from another system since a sign-in may be required.

I would work on the Startup Repair option of the Recovery options a couple of times but if you see a Cancel button, you might try that.

Reaction score
I have just bought an external drivers back up everything on my computer, do I could totally wipe my computer back to factory. If I boot up my system, I can get onto it via my daughters laptop and I have backed up everything onto my external. I have then booted up my desktop again into recovery and tried to do a complete wipe of the system, but it won't even do that, it just says "it has encountered an error and no changes have been made".

What else can I do? Help!

Reaction score
Years ago, I had a similar problem with a different Windows OS. In desperation, I booted up before going to bed. The next morning, it was working fine, and the problem didn't return.

Ask a Question