Windows 10 won't start - "blinitialize Library failed 0xc00000bb"

Reaction score
This message was displayed after the PC (windows 10 64-bit 8gb RAM UEFI) was powered off for a very brief period and powered back up.

No changes had been made to the machine the last thing that was performed of any significance was a cCleaner on data and registry.

I had to re-build the system on a spare HDD as no amount of system restore etc etc had any effect. I still have the 2TB HDD and I recovered all the data from it, it just wont boot from it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Interesting problem, one which I haven't seen before.
Some research produced this article last updated May 2, 2017 which suggests that Microsoft is aware of the issue but doesn't actually contain anything that is very helpful
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...d-xxx-error-when-you-install-or-start-an-oper

So I'm going to just guess. I'm thinking that it might have something to do with "fast startup" or possibly hibernation, both of which use hiberfil.sys to recover from a power saving state or when your computer is cold booted.
You could try deleting the file to see if that helps (it's a hidden system file in the root of C:\
You can turn off fast startup here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options -> Left Column -> Choose what the power buttons do

Capture1.PNG

OR from an Command Prompt (admin)
To disable fast startup
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F
To disable hibernation
powercfg /h off

That's my best guess and the only thing I can think of that might be so fragmented when they talk about
Cause
This problem occurs because the boot firmware on the computer generates lots of memory fragmentation.
Workaround
We recommend that you do not let boot firmware create large amounts of fragmentation. Large memory fragmentation degrades the overall startup performance and causes problems.

Reaction score
Hi, Many thanks for your reply.

I still have then HDD so I will delete the file you suggest and boot up with it and see what happens. I cant really do the registry stuff as it wont boot into a windows system. cant seem to do safe mode in w10 either.

Reaction score
No changes had been made to the machine the last thing that was performed of any significance was a cCleaner on data and registry.

This comment can't really be ignored...

CCleaner probably works fine when used with a great deal of attention being paid. But it may have removed something essential.

As far as booting, if there was a way to use Safe Mode, it might ignore such a problem.

Reaction score
I had this problem after i had enabled hibernation and send Windows 10to hibernate. The command "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" worked, but "bootrec.exe /fixboot" got error and Windows Installer boot repair does not found any Windows installed.

Than, I installed the disk with Windows at an Ubuntu Linux machine and "gparted" saw an unformatted disk :confused:.

But I found the solution using "gdisk" command! When it started, the report was that gpt was corrupted but the backup GPT not. So, I restored the gpt partition from backup gpt (options "r" - recovery and transformation options (experts only) - then "c").

It worked fine for me! :)

The questions are:

1) Why the hibernation destroyed GPT?

2) Should I disable the hibernation or mantain it enabled and remember to never use it again (I restarted the PC and know that it restarts, than it should be better to mantain enabled).

Ask a Question