Windows 10 Won't Wake Up From Sleep

Reaction score
Yeah...laptops don't have a reset button. You might want to do a system restore and keep all your files. There seems to be plenty of upgraders doing that and seems to correct there issues.

How can you do a system restore? I can't get in to do anything. It's not like it's running badly, it's just not running.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
My Asus laptop running 8.1 will respond to a CD put in the drawer which I then close but only to make a few noises, then nothing. I closed the computer last night and it will not respond at all this evening... absolutely no response with the mouse, keyboard(ctrl+alt+delete), or power button. There is only a light gray monitor display. I can't even turn the thing off. The "on" light remain on.
If the laptop is not booting and there is no display, how can I possibly apply any of the foregoing fixes?
It won't turn off and it won't boot so I can do anything with it? There is nothing on it that can't be deleted.
Help, any suggestions?
Thanks.
All is well. I unplugged the unit and after some time it was able to shut down and then restart. An update was applied by Microsoft as soon as it was started and it seems to be working. Thank you to whomever suggested unplugging the laptop and running on battery. We'll see how it does today. Nothing like having it stay on and totally non-responsive.

Sue

Reaction score
Buzzybuzz I have the same problem but with a desk top computer, can that fix also be applied to that in some way please?

Reaction score
I had the very same problem on my Acer laptop and I found the following solution works.
1. Go to Settings
2. Power & Sleep
3. Scroll down to: Additional power settings
4. From the menu on the left select: Choose what closing the lid does
5. Select: Change settings that are currently unavailable
6. Un-check: Turn on fast startup (recommended)
7. Scroll down and: Save changes
Now return to the DeskTop and close the lid.
Wait for a few monents untill you hear the disk stop and open the lid again.
You should be presented with a blank screen, now press the Enter key and you will see the Windows 10 screen saver.
Hit any key and login
Good luck, hope this solution works for you

Reaction score
I downloaded windows 10 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. However, every time I shut my computer, it's supposed to go into sleep mode from which a shake of the mouse will wake it. It is indeed going to sleep, but I can't wake it through any interaction with the mouse or keyboard. The power light is still on, indicating that the computer is sleeping, but I can't get it to wake up. I have had to hold the power button to turn it off and then on and I'm pretty sure that's terrible for my computer to not shut down properly. Everything was fine while I had windows 8.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Hi,

I have a different issue. My machine crashes on waking up many times - too many - can't rely on sleep any more.
I have been struggling with this for a while and I have found a workaround. I enabled hibernation, so when I choose sleep, my computer hibernates. I have a fast machine, so it takes around 12-15 seconds from waking up to fully working, which is not bad and makes little difference compared to 3-5 seconds from sleep, so I'm fine with that. It has now crashed only once, so a bit better.

The culprit seems to be Nvidia driver. I have tried many versions, including the current 355.60, my current 353.54 and a few in between. I have done a lot of things including disabling S6/S7 in BIOS and money other changes in BIOS and power settings in Windows and a few more I could think of. So hibernation is the best solution so far, but still not bullet proof.

Reaction score
I downloaded windows 10 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. However, every time I shut my computer, it's supposed to go into sleep mode from which a shake of the mouse will wake it. It is indeed going to sleep, but I can't wake it through any interaction with the mouse or keyboard. The power light is still on, indicating that the computer is sleeping, but I can't get it to wake up. I have had to hold the power button to turn it off and then on and I'm pretty sure that's terrible for my computer to not shut down properly. Everything was fine while I had windows 8.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Try updating the display driver

Reaction score
I started just having this problem yesterday. Twice now, my Dell XPS 8700 has refused to wake up in the morning.

This computer came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. It's never had another OS. Funny though that I got it about September 15 and it never exhibited this problem until October 4.

I hate to have to reboot by shutting it down and restarting because it takes forever to boot. Plus there is nothing to watch while waiting to see if it's really going to finish booting. There's no busy icon, no lights flickering on the tower, nothing on the screen, it's just all black until eventually it pops up with Windows 10 logo. If all this happened in a minute or two it wouldn't be so bad but I've waiting what seems like five minutes and was just about to give up when it booted up.

In spite of having only had Win 10 on this computer I noticed that on Control Panel/System And Security, the third option is "Backup And Restore (Windows 7). I've been on Win 7 about three years on my old computer, never had 8.1, but navigating Win 10 is full of "where did they put it" moments. Still I want to stick with it, but things like this "permanent sleep mode" does give me pause.

Reaction score
Here's what worked for me: Go to Control Panel> System and Security> Power Options. On the left hand menu, select Choose what the power button does. Make sure Sleep is selected under Power button and lid settings (When I press the power button). Save changes (as necessary). Go back to previous page. Under Choose or customize a power plan, change plan settings for each of your power plans as follows: click on Change plan settings (this takes you to a new page)> Change advanced power settings (opens a pop up)> Click on Sleep> Allow Hybrid sleep> On Battery and Plugged in, select On. Click on Apply. Hope this helps! (Worked on a Sony vaio VPCEH25FM laptop).

Reaction score
I also put my computer to sleep yesterday and today, it is dead. The power light is on but nothing works. No display, no keyboard, no mouse. Please do not tell me to click on something or download something. It is asleep, Help me please.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Gary and welcome to the forum.
If you press the power button briefly, does it resume?

Reaction score
Good Afternoon, ( at least it is here) I have found a cure to wake it up. I had to hold the power button down for about 10 sec. It turns the device off and when I press the button again, life springs forth. Thank you for your time, sorry to disrupt your day.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Actually I was hoping that something short of a 10 second holding of the power button to fully hard reset the machine would help it resume from sleep.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Reaction score
Actually I was hoping that something short of a 10 second holding of the power button to fully hard reset the machine would help it resume from sleep.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Yes I found it out that that does not always work. What in the world can I do?

Reaction score
Gary Hissong: It isn't just that it doesn't always work. Doing that a lot will wear out the Power button, and then you have a major repair on your hands. Microsoft is going to cost a lot of us serious money because of this flaw. I've tried every posted fix I can find and nothing seems to work. I'm furious!!

Reaction score
I may have the answer. Go Settings, System and then Power and Sleep, then Additional Power Settings. Will probably show Balanced, click on change plan settings. Assume we've all opted for computer never turning off the display and never going to sleep. Now click on Change Advanced Power Settings, click on Hard Disk. My computer had been set, by default, to turn the Hard Disk off after 20 minutes. Now changed it to 180 minutes

I used these Windows 10 instructions to put my HP Envy laptop to sleep, and they worked. To return & wake the laptop, I just press the ON button on the side and it immediately comes back on.

Reaction score
The fault is the sleep option fails and crashes your computer when woken up. You might discover the virus checker has also been disabled !
You computer's power-key [in the start menu] needs a popup menu with ' Hibernate' 'Shut Down' and 'Restart'.

1. Click starts > settings > system

2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.

3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.

When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.

When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'

7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'

8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid

9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];

Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.

Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options

Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.

Don't forget to OK before closing the process.

Power option key 'sleep' has now been removed and Hibernate installed.
Your computer should no longer crash to a black screen.
:D
The start>power key now uses Hibernate, Shut Down or Restart.

I followed Buzzybuzz's instructions and this seems to have done the trick. I registered for an account here just so I could say THANK YOU, Buzzy!

Side note: Steps 5 through 9 were unnecessary for me because steps 1 through 4 already saved these settings.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem on HP desktop computer. I have noticed that it only happens when a Windows update is pushed to the PC. The only thing I can do is unplug the computer which I know is not good for the PC. When I plug it back in and power on, there is always an update running.

Reaction score
FIXED ?? Looks like the " wont wake up problem " is solved on my Pavillion by running Registry First Aid, ticking every box, that is Green, yellow and red after the scan and go fix / clean it button. Obviously create a restore point first. Left over dreggs from the upgrade I guess. I also run Privazer which has proven to be a good and detailed cleaner. I take care to set options No to taking out older Windows 7 OS at this stage. So for now the sledge hammer is back in the shed !

Last edited:

Ask a Question