Windows 10 Won't Wake Up From Sleep

Reaction score
my HP was updated to windows 10 pro recently
then got 2 problems simultaneously :

1.my HP won't shutdown (black screen but the on/off button indicator keep on)

I did these steps, it worked...

- go to "control panel"
- click " system and security" or "hardware ans sound"
- click " power options"
- on the left side of the screen, click "choose what the power button does"
- click "change settings that are currently unavailable"
- on shutdown settings, uncheck "turn on fast startup (recommended)"
- click "save changes"

2.after sleep mode, my HP won't wakeup (screen keep black when the on/off button indicator is on)

do these steps

- go to "control panel"
- click " power options"
- on shutdown settings, uncheck "turn on fast startup (recommended)"
- on password protect when wakeup, click "don't require a password"
- click "save changes"

restart your computer, when you find its worked
do the final steps to re-active power options, as follows:

- go to "control panel"
- click " power options"
- on shutdown settings, check "turn on fast startup (recommended)"
- on password protect when wakeup, click "require a password (recommended)
- click "save changes"

done, restart you computer to see if your steps worked
goodluck

regards
otto

Reaction score
sorry :), ... revision in final steps

do the final steps to re-active power options, as follows:

- go to "control panel"
- click " power options"
- on password protect when wakeup, click "require a password (recommended)
- on shutdown settings, keep unchecked "turn on fast startup (recommended)" (revision)
- click "save changes"

done, restart you computer to see if your steps worked
goodluck

regards
otto

Reaction score
started to try the instructions from Buzzybuzz. when I got to the advanced settings I had a section where I could change the sleep options. In the sleep drop down I used the option: Allow Hybrid Sleep, I turned it ON for both On Battery, and Plugged In.

I did change my power button settings to Hibernate also. I left the close lid setting on sleep.
I changed nothing else.
After changing the setting I closed all my windows and shut my lid. I let it stay closed for about 15-20 min. when I opened it. the screen popped right up.
I will try it out some more over the next few days and update this post later.

Reaction score
Someone please help. My pc which has windows 10, won't come out of hibernate. It starts up but just black screen.

Reaction score
I downloaded windows 10 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. However, every time I shut my computer, it's supposed to go into sleep mode from which a shake of the mouse will wake it. It is indeed going to sleep, but I can't wake it through any interaction with the mouse or keyboard. The power light is still on, indicating that the computer is sleeping, but I can't get it to wake up. I have had to hold the power button to turn it off and then on and I'm pretty sure that's terrible for my computer to not shut down properly. Everything was fine while I had windows 8.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

For dear friends:

Many users have same problem with windows 10 so that when they upgraded to Windows 10 , their laptop will not wake up from sleep.

Users who’re facing this issue have laptops of:

HP Envy Series

Surface Pro

HP Pavilion

HP Touch Smart

Samsung Laptop with Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card

Lenovo Thinkpad

Acer Aspire

In many website there are some recommendations as below:

Upgrading graphic card drivers
Upgrading bios version
Trying to revert back to previous Graphic card driver
Changing power setting
Mouse and Keyboard, enable wake up using this device
And many other approaches

But I have another easy way to solve this problem without doing any of them You can try to find or download and finally install the driver pack solution 15.12 it will
Definitely work and solve your problem in such this case.
I would be happy if you inform me by email
My email: amin.keramatpanah @ gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I downloaded windows 10 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. However, every time I shut my computer, it's supposed to go into sleep mode from which a shake of the mouse will wake it. It is indeed going to sleep, but I can't wake it through any interaction with the mouse or keyboard. The power light is still on, indicating that the computer is sleeping, but I can't get it to wake up. I have had to hold the power button to turn it off and then on and I'm pretty sure that's terrible for my computer to not shut down properly. Everything was fine while I had windows 8.

For dear friends:

Many users have same problem with windows 10 so that when they upgraded to Windows 10 , their laptop will not wake up from sleep.

Users who’re facing this issue have laptops of:

HP Envy Series

Surface Pro

HP Pavilion

HP Touch Smart

Samsung Laptop with Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card

Lenovo Thinkpad

Acer Aspire

In many website there are some recommendations as below:

Upgrading graphic card drivers
Upgrading bios version
Trying to revert back to previous Graphic card driver
Changing power setting
Mouse and Keyboard, enable wake up using this device
And many other approaches

But I have another easy way to solve this problem without doing any of them You can try to find or download and finally install the driver pack solution 15.12 it will
Definitely work and solve your problem in such this case.
I would be happy if you inform me by email
My email: amin.keramatpanah @ gmail.com

Reaction score
hello. i have 3 problems with windows 10:
1. the battery icon is missing , wont appear, next to the date and time on the task bar. tried many solutions, only one helped but only until i shut down the computer.then again gone.
2. cannot wake up computer from sleep with keyboard or touch pad. doesn't react, nothing happens. i have to press the power button in order to wake it up.
3. sometimes my computer wont go to sleep. i mean it kinda sleeps, the screen shuts down, but then it makes noises (ventilates) , becomes hot, uses power and the keyboard has light, and wont wake up or react unless i do a hard reboot (press longer on power button), but i think it is not very good for my computer and also i loose everything i had opened.
i tried many many online solutions, nothing has helped. i updated bios recently (i have dell inspiron 7537), all the drivers from official Dell and Microsoft pages are updated too. done online check up, seems fine. i am also communicating with Microsoft support, but nothing helps what lady says to do for few days already.. i doubt she knows what she's saying.. , it seems to be going to sleep so far (not sure how long it will last), but first two problems are still there.
also on another profile (if i try create a knew only battery icon problem is gone, the rest are there. so i don't think it's a profile problem.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
hi dear Migle , as i said before u can find and download the driver pack solution version 15.12 and then install it,u will find your windows is operating very well and there is no sleep or wake up problem. in fact your second and third problem will be solved.

and finally about your first problem ,it is so easy,follow this direction:/ setting/system/notification and action/select which icon appear on the task bar/

in the end change the power icon to on situation.

good lucky ;-)

Reaction score
The fault is the sleep option fails and crashes your computer when woken up. You might discover the virus checker has also been disabled !
You computer's power-key [in the start menu] needs a popup menu with ' Hibernate' 'Shut Down' and 'Restart'.

1. Click starts > settings > system

2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.

3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.

When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.

When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'

7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'

8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid

9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];

Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.

Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options

Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.

Don't forget to OK before closing the process.

Power option key 'sleep' has now been removed and Hibernate installed.
Your computer should no longer crash to a black screen.
:D
The start>power key now uses Hibernate, Shut Down or Restart.

I've been searching since September for a solution to this problem. Thank you SO much!!!

Nan

Reaction score
The fault is the sleep option fails and crashes your computer when woken up. You might discover the virus checker has also been disabled !
You computer's power-key [in the start menu] needs a popup menu with ' Hibernate' 'Shut Down' and 'Restart'.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, I had tried everything but your detailed process finally worked. I was ready to go back to 8.1. Thank you again for taking the time to help and telling us step by step what to do.

Reaction score

The following has solved this problem on my system.

This seems to be a common problem on various hardware configurations. My own system, which has the WAKE problem is W10 14271 P8Z68 MB Nvidia video. For myself this problem is now solved per the following.

To determine if it was a hardware or software problem I restored W10 V? from a backup made right after a clean install of W10 and my application software. I knew that this configuration worked well back in the day. (I use Macrium Reflect which makes the restore easy). Let the restored system run for a day shutting down, going to sleep and waking without any problem. Therefore I surmised that the WAKE problem was SOFTWARE.

Made a note of the Nvidia driver version that the restored (no problem) system was running.

Restored my original (problem) configuration and the WAKE problem reappeared.

Downloaded the older Nvidia driver. Removed all Nvidia stuff then installed the older driver. Two days later my system has always WAKEd from sleep. Very occasionally I get the video driver not responding error from Windows which is preferable to the the WAKE probem. For myself the problem is SOLVED.

I should try newer video drivers but since it's the preview version of windows I'm not going to bother.

In my opinion all Video Card and their associated drivers are the cause of many problems.

That's my two cents worth - - - - Cheers Bill D.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your troubleshooting and findings.

Reaction score
The following has solved this problem on my system.

This seems to be a common problem on various hardware configurations. My own system, which has the WAKE problem is W10 14271 P8Z68 MB Nvidia video. For myself this problem is now solved per the following.

To determine if it was a hardware or software problem I restored W10 V? from a backup made right after a clean install of W10 and my application software. I knew that this configuration worked well back in the day. (I use Macrium Reflect which makes the restore easy). Let the restored system run for a day shutting down, going to sleep and waking without any problem. Therefore I surmised that the WAKE problem was SOFTWARE.

Made a note of the Nvidia driver version that the restored (no problem) system was running.

Restored my original (problem) configuration and the WAKE problem reappeared.

Downloaded the older Nvidia driver. Removed all Nvidia stuff then installed the older driver. Two days later my system has always WAKEd from sleep. Very occasionally I get the video driver not responding error from Windows which is preferable to the the WAKE probem. For myself the problem is SOLVED.

I should try newer video drivers but since it's the preview version of windows I'm not going to bother.

In my opinion all Video Card and their associated drivers are the cause of many problems.

That's my two cents worth - - - - Cheers Bill D.

I should have added - - I only install the actual video driver, not any of the other features of the driver package.

Reaction score
Would someone please tell me how to fix the "won't wake up problem" on a Lenova desktop? Right now I've got it set to never go off and I just turn off the monitor, but that's a bad solution. It was going into sleep mode and I was having to turn the computer off and rebooting it every time. Then it started just running the fan half the time and not rebooting. Now I'm just leaving it on with the monitor turned off. BTW, I don't know whether this is normal or not, but the Power button doesn't have hibernate. It just has sleep, shut down, and restart.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same thing with my Lenovo IdeaCentre 300 Tower PC, Intel Core i7, 12GB, 2TB, Black. Can anyone help as I really do not want to do a full system restore and that might not work!

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem on my desktop HP computer!
I have the same problem ,after it goes to sleep I have to reboot to wake it up.To watch movies I use my computer screen and my tv screen,a few times when I get a black screen from trying to wake it up,I can turn on my tv screen and see what should be showing on my computer screen,and I can log in there and it goes back to my computer,it's supposed to be an exact image of the computer.It might or might not work for you,if you use two screens

Reaction score
I had the very same problem on my Acer laptop and I found the following solution works.
1. Go to Settings
2. Power & Sleep
3. Scroll down to: Additional power settings
4. From the menu on the left select: Choose what closing the lid does
5. Select: Change settings that are currently unavailable
6. Un-check: Turn on fast startup (recommended)
7. Scroll down and: Save changes
Now return to the DeskTop and close the lid.
Wait for a few monents untill you hear the disk stop and open the lid again.
You should be presented with a blank screen, now press the Enter key and you will see the Windows 10 screen saver.
Hit any key and login
Good luck, hope this solution works for you

Here's what worked for me: Go to Control Panel> System and Security> Power Options. On the left hand menu, select Choose what the power button does. Make sure Sleep is selected under Power button and lid settings (When I press the power button). Save changes (as necessary). Go back to previous page. Under Choose or customize a power plan, change plan settings for each of your power plans as follows: click on Change plan settings (this takes you to a new page)> Change advanced power settings (opens a pop up)> Click on Sleep> Allow Hybrid sleep> On Battery and Plugged in, select On. Click on Apply. Hope this helps! (Worked on a Sony vaio VPCEH25FM laptop).

I have a Lenovo u410 with Windows 10.0.10586. I had to do both actions to set my pc working as it should. In first place, I had to start my computer twice for turning it on (solved with Sparks answer same as in Microsoft answers). And then, turning pc on after sleep was not properly working (solved with Maverick answer).

Thank you both Sparks and Maverick.

Reaction score

Thank you for posting these detail steps. It is exactly what I had to do to get a brand new ASUS laptop with Windows 10 that would not wake up

Ask a Question