Windows 7 Update Rollup / Opinions Wanted.

Reaction score
Hey All,

Perhaps it's just me but I doubt it. :confused:

Ever since W10 free upgrade release came about it seems that the update center for Windows 7 just kind of went to hell in a hand bag.

And yes I understand the "Windows Update Solution" and how to use it.
I'm just curious as to the whole point of making it into the ordeal that it has now become.

Is this the way that MS is trying to promote W10 or as I see it force end-users into moving to W10 through difficultly of the new Windows 7 update rollup system that only half works some of the time.

I'm not a Windows user but I do work on Windows computers for people who are having difficulty with this new Windows 7 update process.

Just curious.

The PoorGuy :cool:

"Windows Update Solution"
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c

Reaction score
Case in point here as I just did a Windows 7 clean install for a neighbor and that went well.

I followed the instructions to a tee in my link in my above post.
Out of 230 updates 59 of them failed totally unacceptable. :mad:

Windows may have been a good thing years ago but a total POS as far as Update Support on older still supported OS.

Makes me glad I no longer use them I just feel sorry for the chumps that are still stuck with them so I try to help them.

Guess I'm the dumb ass.

Reaction score
After a fresh install there are always many updates that fail because the preset conditions are not met and WU shows all available updates, no matter what sequence. From my experience after the next update those fails are installed successfully....

Reaction score
I have finally succeeded.
What I had to do was install updates as clumps.

Important updates all went fine.
Then all of the net framework updates.
Then half of recommended updates.
Then the rest of the recommended updates.

230 plus updates of 700 plus MB of data downloaded and out of all of that only 2 failed updates which I can live with.

Microsoft should keep their update website 100% in my opinion as Windows 7 is still supported and has been paid for.
I'm convinced that they no longer give a crap about any OS other than Windows 10 where they can control your computer and leach your personal information to sell the end-user out for advertisement.

My apologies to the forum and it's members for such a negative thread.
This has been very irritating as it all started by my helping a neighbor out.

Reaction score
Your solution, and this thread, could be useful in the windows 7 forum? (moderator?)

Reaction score
Your solution, and this thread, could be useful in the windows 7 forum? (moderator?)
Since I have no account to the Windows 7 forum you may copy it over to there as if it helps someone else that would be cool as nobody needs to become this frustrated over this.

Thanks

Reaction score
Well I thought I would give a positive post on the Windows 7 install.
Installed the extra software that is necessary for Windows to work well and be secure.
All is working well my neighbor is happy with how well it finally did turn out.

I'm not a Microsoft Windows hater just don't understand the way they do things sometimes.
The good old days of Windows XP and Windows Vista to bad those days are gone forever.
Just can't get into Windows 10 although I did give it a fair try for a year decided it was best for me to migrate from Windows.

Thanks for the listening space.

Reaction score
"I'm not a Microsoft Windows hater just don't understand the way they do things sometimes."

I don't think, latterly, they do either.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@poorguy Windows update is the Achilles heel for Windows in general, and as a two decade long Linux user. I cant forget the teething issues plaguing some distros in the update area...

XP SP3 was an unmitigated disaster ;), I had a blog which is closed now, where I offered my Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) fix (that alone was 50k unique users a day many thanking me for it) and Vista, ugh, :p not a fan of that, not many manufacturers were ready for Vista driver wise, so being the local nerd fixing computers for everyone around, it was a time I had long forgotten, until Windows 10 problems started rolling in...

I am not a fanboy or hater of Microsoft but its true that the last 3 or so years Microsoft have implemented questionable policies, often forced on end-users, and rolled out services, software and patches that quality wise weren't ready for the masses, from experience, it will be another 3/5 years before these new implementations it reaches some maturity and wider user-base stability.

Lastly, I am a pragmatic OS user, the OS is a tool for me which allows me to run the softwares I absolutely need and must use, I have my preferences of course and I have a large sympathy for many users stuck between a rock and a hard place, hence why I, mostly fuelled by my Linux usage experience, try to provide some support and share my solutions or help spread solutions found by others to hopefully make some user happy.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Can't this somehow be blamed on Donald Trump?

You can blame it on the sunshine or blame it on the moonlight, even blame it on the boogie!
That is entirely up to you, but Donald who? Duck you say? :D

Reaction score
This Duck.jpg

This duck?

Reaction score
OK now lets not pick on the Ducks.

The Ducks had nothing to do with any of this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows or Linux can sure have problems with any part of updates or at time of install.
I have had some issues with certain Linux Distos.

At present I'm using a rolling Linux Distro still in testing and it has for the most worked flawless although has also been an interesting learning experience.

Life is Good.:cool:

The PoorGuy

Ask a Question