Windows is not activated

Reaction score
I am a very confused pensioner. I bought a pre-owned Dell laptop with Windows7 + SP1 installed showing Windows is Activated. Tried for 6 hours to upgrade to Windows 10 after stalling several times on 'Getting Updates'. I found that the problem was the Windows Update on Windows 7 was just seized up and would not do any kinds of Window updates. So then I used the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It did fix Service Registration missing or corrupt problems but did NOT fix Problems installing recent updates.
So I was not able to go down the normal route of just upgrading to Windows 10 as Windows updates has to be working on my Windows 7. So I went down the route of downloading the Media Creation Tool on to a USB flash drive and successfully installed Windows 10 on my laptop.
Problem now is I get message WINDOWS IS NOT ACTIVATED. I do not know my Windows 7 key because I did not get a disc when I bought it. I have lost my Windows 7 installation because it has been wiped from my hard drive. How do I get my Windows 10 activated? Unfortunately it is the PRO version and no way can I afford $200 to buy a licence key. In any case why should I? I started of with Activated Windows 7 and should finish up with a free activated Windows 10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Silversurfer2016,

Have you removed your laptops battery cover, and battery?

Dell used to stick the COA sticker there as they tend to fade when exposed to UV light.

That sticker ought to contain your Windows 7 product number

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
In order to activate Windows 10 you had to upgrade from Windows 7, so I assumed you ended up wiping the drive before you installed Windows 10?

Certain Dell computers are not recommended for Windows 10 so you might check the Dell site to see if yours is listed.

Too bad you did not make an image backup of your system prior to the update try. Maybe Dell can supply recovery media for that machine.

Ask a Question