Windows Live Mail Error Message.....

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the appropriate area for my question; if it's not let me know and I'll post it in a more appropriate section.

I've been using Windows Live Mail for years. Never had any problems until just lately. There have been some updates to WLM recently, and now I'm having trouble sending messages.

Been to my ISP's tech support but they refuse to deal with it, even though they're supposed to work with email carriers. I've argued with them, but they just say it's a Microsoft problem.

Since the latest updates to Windows Live Mail, I get an error message when I write an email and hit Send. The error message says;

Security Warning
You do not have a digital ID. If you send this message it will be sent properly but you will not be able to read it in your Sent items folder.
Send anyway?

I need to keep copies of the emails I send out. I've googled digital ID, but the explanation of what this is, is so complicated I don't fully understand it. What, exactly, is this digital ID and do I really need one?

And, why after using WLM all these years do I, now, need a digital ID?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Reaction score
I have just removed LIve Mail from my computer, but I think your answer is here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-mesaage/b87e8e81-4ccd-4ace-ae3c-59ffaef5b042

davehc, thank you so much for posting a reply to my problem. I appreciate people like you coming into these threads and helping those of us who just don't have much knowledge on how these infernal machines work.

Having said that, I'm not any kind of PC techie and I must say I didn't understand much of the reply in the link. It gave me more questions than answers. I've included a screenshot of the link below.

The link said:
"When viewing your message list, press Alt-F O S to open the Safety Options dialogue. You'll find the options for secure mail at the bottom of the Security tab. Note that digital signing and encryption are two different functions. You can also select one and/or the other in a message compose window, on the Options tab."

Ok, so I was able to pull up the Safety Options dialogue box. Clicked on the Security tab and found at the bottom two check boxes..
1. Encrypt contents and attachments for all outgoing email
2. Digitally sign all outgoing messages.
The "encrypt contents" box was checked, the "digitally sign" box was not.

And, there were really no instructions on what to do with these two check boxes. If the digitally sign check box wasn't checked, does that mean emails shouldn't need a digital ID when they're sent out?

Then, the link stated:
"You'll get the same warning for this message unless you remove the security requirement from it. Drag it from the outbox to a drafts folder, then double-click on it to open it. Check that there's no security requirement selected on the Options tab:

These instructions say, "Drag it from the outbox to a drafts folder...". What is the "it" I'm supposed to drag from the Outbox to a Drafts folder? The email message? How do you drag an email message? Have never done that before.

These instructions then say, "....then double-click on it to open it." Double-click on what?
Then it says, "Check that there's no security requirement on the Options tab:" I've included a screenshot of the Options tab, and I don't see any security requirement on it.

I don't want to stop using WLM. I have dozens and dozens of folders in it that I really don't want to lose. There are important emails in these folders that need to be filed and saved. I've used WLM for years with no problems and all of a sudden it's gone kablooey.

I've downloaded Thunderbird temporarily until I can get this WLM crap straightened out, but I don't like the look of Thunderbird, it's design color is toooo light, toooo crowded and these two things make it hard to see the different email names.

Anything else that can be suggested will be greatly appreciated. I'm just at my wit's end.

Attachments

• Safety Options Dialogue screen1.png
    Safety Options Dialogue screen1.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 567
  • Security Screenshot1.png
    Security Screenshot1.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 848
Reaction score
OK. Forget that long "cure". Try this
There is a small e button that says sign at the top before you tried to send. Unclick it and see if the problem is solved.

Also, if you have requested a receipt for each message, cancel it.

Reaction score
I have temporarily reinstalled Live Mail. Investigation showed this.
Click "File" in the top menu
Click Options
Click Safety Options
Click Security
Ensure that the last two items "Encrypt contents..etc"
and
Digitally sign..etc"
are both UNticked

Reaction score
OK. Forget that long "cure". Try this
There is a small e button that says sign at the top before you tried to send. Unclick it and see if the problem is solved.

Also, if you have requested a receipt for each message, cancel it.

I have an open email message right now ready to send and I don't see a small e anywhere on the page. Sending a screen shot.

However, if I click on Options at the top I get something about encrypt and Digitally Sign but only the Encrypt is highlighted (in lieu of being checked) and the Digitally Signed is not highlighted (i.e. checked).

Sending screenshots.

I've been a Microsoft user since I got online in 1999. Never, NEVER, had any problems with any Windows OS or mail service until Windows 10 and just the past several months with WLM.

Attachments

• Email without an e.png
    Email without an e.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 570
  • Email Options1.png
    Email Options1.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 524
Reaction score
OK, so I didn't see your second message until too late. Unchecked both Encrypt and Digitally sign. Was able to send my message.

However, the Sent message isn't being kept in the Send Message folder. It's important I keep copies of my Sent messages.

Got any suggestions?

Reaction score
Also, I can't find WLM in Programs and Features to uninstall it. Can I reinstall WLM right over the software which is already there? Usually we're asked to uninstall a program, first, before reinstalling it.

Reaction score
Now I'm getting another error message in WLM.

"Unable to send or receive messages for Comcast (user name) account. Header download for the folder (folder name) did not complete. The connection to the server has failed."

Never had any problems with any folder I have in any of my email accounts until this last update. Why did this error happen and how can it be fixed?

Reaction score
So, WLM is in Windows Essentials Suite and needs to be uninstalled from there, in Programs and Features. However, Windows Essentials Suite is now defunct and no longer supported. Where do I find a stand-alone download for WLM? Or is there one?

Am I going to have to buy some other software to get the WLM software, now? Like some kind of Office Suite or other which will run $100s of dollars?

Reaction score
Are you insistent on WLM or do you just want a reliable mail client that will store mail on your PC and keep your sent mail as well?

Reaction score
If I change to another mail carrier will I lose all those dozens and dozens of folders I have on WLM? If the answer is yes, I want to stay with WLM. If not, then direct me to another mail carrier.

At the moment I have downloaded Thunderbird but I can't seem to move all these folders I have on WLM over to Thunderbird.

Keep in mind, there is very important information in these many folders I have on WLM and I am loathe to lose them.

Also, is there another kind of Windows Suite which contains the new version of WLM? If so, which one is it?

Reaction score
So, after a lot of research it seems that Microsoft has abandoned Windows Live Mail. There is an alternative, Outlook.com, but this is an online only email tool, and requires a Microsoft account. It also requires verification of email accounts for all email forwarding and out-of-office replies, which I think is your mobile phone number. No one but my family and friends get my cell number, so good-by Microsoft email service of any kind.

Thanks, Microsoft. Between the BSOD I now have in my Win10 OS (just upgraded in Dec 2017) and the death of Windows Live Mail, my online life is now about as miserable and complicated as it gets. I've been spending almost every day since Dec 2017 working on all these Windows problems and glitches, with no end in sight.

I first got online in 1999 and have used Microsoft software exclusively for all this time--every and all Windows OSs and all the IE browsers issued since then, and I now see what my 18 years of loyalty to Microsoft has given me.....nothing but bucketsful of trouble for my time.

Reaction score
From your earlier comments buying Office 365 with the 'real' Outlook is off the table, about $100 a year? I have no idea if it can grab all your folders. Someone must know tho'

Have you looked at Mailbird? Might be worth a go at the free version to see if it can do the folder thing.

Reaction score
I recall (I think) that you can "export" your wlm files and import them into the Windows 10 mail program.

Ask a Question