windows.old

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I don't know what prompted me to check this, BUT, I did a system reset keeping data. Done and went well. So I check for the usual windows.old folder and something said......delete it. So I right clicked it and selected delete. HOLY CRAP! It worked. So in 20H2 we can now delete said file as we normally delete a file. Way cool. Anybody else knew anything about this?

Reaction score
Not certain, Bass,. long time since. But I think we have been able to delete that file for some time now??

Reaction score
You are welcome Dave. It may have even been earlier but I cannot remember?. Windows ME and Windows 2000 possibly too?. o_O

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
NO....you guys are missing it.

Yes you could delete the windows.old folder but you had to go through a process to delete that folder or use some 3rd party software. Now you can just right click it and select delete and it's gone.

I could never do that in any version of windows before.

Reaction score
Maybe we will test the case there. I have, for as long as I can remember, always used the disk clean method, opting for including system files.
You could be correct that, at least for a few days, you could not delete it by a direct method. Several different methods available though, as you suggest.

I do know for sure, that since the "Storage" item was added to the settings, it could be deleted from there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll have to check the next time I have a windows.old. It'll be nice to just delete it instead of going through disk cleanup, which can take forever.

Reaction score
As I said, you can do it wit a single click in the storage. But, like yourself, Long time no see.
But, Bassfisher is correct, #6. Wolfie and I may have jumped the gun. A direct delete --?? -- dunno. I am sure I did it on an earlier new installation. I have never done a reset so, curiosity, what version does it reset back to?

Reaction score
I seem to remember being able to do it simply by right clicking the folder and selecting delete?. Maybe I am having an old persons moment lol?. :) :) :)

Reaction score
Yeah. Not much there that hasn't aleady been mentioned in this thread. Anyway, I think the thread has been thrashed to death - I'm out.

Ask a Question