Windows.Old

Reaction score
After getting the last major update in my C drive there is a folder named Windows.old.........is it needed???? cause its taking too much Space.

Reaction score
Think carefully about that.. It will go automatically after a while, but keep it until you are really sure you want to move permanently on to Windows 10

Reaction score
Think carefully about that.. It will go automatically after a while, but keep it until you are really sure you want to move permanently on to Windows 10
I didn't realize it would go away on its own, what is the "while" you speak of?

Reaction score
I have Windows.old also, but this was a clean install of 10. So what would I revert to?

Reaction score
While is one month.

second post:

then it will revert to windows 10. But why would you want to?

Reaction score
My girlfriend bought a Dell 990 with Windows 10 installed. Previously, she had an e-Machine computer with Vista and e-Machine keyboard and e-Machine (I suppose) mouse. The keyboard and mouse, which have computer-(which I'm not savy of)-type, color-coded plugs, are not working when plugged into the same type, color coded inputs of the Dell; but, an old, USB mouse that I've had forever does work through any USB port. What could be the problem here? (I just couldn't figure out how to post a new thread, so I posted here. I gotta go! Thank you!!!)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
color-coded plugs, are not working when plugged into the same type, color coded inputs of the Dell
The color coded plugs you refer to (typically purple and green but can be different) are typically PS2 cable ends and are not Plug and Play. They require that you turn the computer off (completely off, not sleep, not hibernate, not hybrid sleep), plug them in and restart the computer.
IF they still don't work then those ports may possibly be disabled in the system setup utility (BIOS).
Frankly I'm mildly surprised that a new system even included these ports as they are being phased out and are seldom available on newer computers except the occasional single purple/green universal PS2 port.

Reaction score
"...IF they still don't work then those ports may possibly be disabled in the system setup utility (BIOS)..."
Hey, buddy, I wasn't looking for Trouble! But, thank you for responding. She plugged them in before starting up the computer after bringing it in from the shop, so, how can we "able" the ports in the BIOS?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm surprised that when she purchased the computer that it didn't come with a keyboard and mouse.

As you've discovered a USB Keyboard and or Mouse are universal and should work without any special attention or configuration.
It is possible that her older PS2 keyboard and mouse from her old machine(s) are slightly different in their pin-outs and may not work on the new machine.
My suggestion is to update her keyboard and mouse to a USB option.

Dell computers typically respond to F2 at POST (Power On Self Test) upon booting to enter the System Setup Utility (BIOS) but if the keyboard doesn't work, I'm not sure how you would accomplish this.

Your best bet might be to contact the Vendor who sold her the computer or contact Dell and explain the problem you are having with the PS2 ports not working with the Keyboard and or Mouse you are using and see if they might suggest a remedy.

NOTE: The System Setup Utility (BIOS) can be a bit confusing to a novice and changing some settings might result in unintended consequences resulting in a system that may not boot, so.....
A modest level of skill and knowledge is required. As I mentioned earlier the supplier might be your best resource. A new computer should work "out of the box" and the fact that yours' doesn't might suggest that, there may be something more complex going on.

Reaction score
Thank you. She bought some new ones with USB plugs. Incidentally, the sales guy said, "The mouses are over there." Is that the correct declension for a computer mouse, or is he another Mr. Jinks? (Remember, "I hate those meeces to pieces!")

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought that was either Sylvester or Felix but sure.....
IF my grand-daughter can use Gooses instead of Geese then I suppose mouses is OK

Ask a Question