SOLVED Windows Photos won't let me "save as" anymore, only letting me "Save a copy".

Reaction score
I use Windows Photos just to trim down some Nvidia Shadowplay recordings and literally overnight the Photos app changed from saying "Save as" in the top right to "Save a copy". This makes sorting my files extremely tedious since I can't choose where it is saved or alter the name of the file. Right clicking the "Save a copy" button does nothing and "Ctrl + S" only saves a copy. I checked the Photos app on another of my PC:s running Windows 10 and there it says "Save as" still. I have no idea what changed it nor how to change it back. Any help would be appreciated!

Also I tried "reinstalling" it by resetting it in the Settings app.

Reaction score
Use WinKey + R on both computers, type winver, copy and post both of the resultant images so it can be checked for a Build difference or is both the same, could be an update caused an issue. All of my Desktops are on the same Build and will be doing the Notebooks starting later today.

Reaction score
I did it with my laptop and it says "Save as" with Windows 10 build: 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1466).

When I first discovered the problem I got in touch with Microsoft and talked to a technician who told me to update Windows with an optional update so my build on my main desktop is: 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1466).

The problem originally occurred on an earlier build (and persist on this build), I plan on updating my laptop to the same build and see if it changes to "Save a copy".

Reaction score
OMFG Microsoft! I'm sorry if I inconvenienced you mr. Bighorn. I solved my problem by removing the folder where I save my recordings from the Photos app so the folder no longer is a Photos folder and now it lets me "save as" again. I don't know why that would cause this problem but now it's solved at least.

PNG is of the setting where I marked where to add and remove folders.

Attachments

• ABCDEFU Microsoft.png
    ABCDEFU Microsoft.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 91

Ask a Question