SOLVED Windows "tips" will not stop.

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 Home v. 21H2 build 19044.1415 on a Surface Pro 7. I mention the Surface Pro 7 because my problem is only on my laptop and not on my desktop that is running the very same version and build. Anyway, I have tried everything I can to stop Windows Tips on my laptop, but they won't go away. I don't care that they pop up on my sign in screen (I can't get a screen shop of them) and ask me if I want to "Launch the Tips App" but if I click on the center of the screen to bring up the sign in window it also launchs Tips since one of the "pre-sign in Tips" is right in the middle of the screen. Thus it takes my action as wanting to launch Tips. If I use my finger to slid up the screen and then sign in, the tips do not appear. I have tried the obvious of Settings> System> Notifications & actions in every possible configuration to no avail. Attached is a Tip that pops up after I sign in. Any suggestions or ideas would be really appreciated.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am not running Cortana. On the chance they may help I have taken 2 photos with my cell phone of my laptop log in screen with the "Tips" displayed before I login, the Tip in the middle of the screen expanded, then a screenshot of the Tip displayed after login if I click on the original tip in the middle of the screen. I have also included screenshots of my Notification Settings. Again, thank you for your help. This is only one of several problems I am having with my Surface Pro 7 which Microsoft has replaced twice since I purchased it in April 2021. I am still working on the other problems because I have sworn to never return it again and go through the drill of reinstalling everything.

Attachments

• Laptop screen 1.jpg
    Laptop screen 1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Laptop screen 2.jpg
    Laptop screen 2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    350.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot (21).png
    Screenshot (21).png
    59.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    42.3 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Do you have your lock screen image set to 'Windows Spotlight' by any chance? That first image of your lock screen looks like spotlight, perhaps the tips that your seeing flow from there? I would change the lock screen to a static image.

Reaction score
You nailed it! I used to have a static image on my laptop as I do on my desktop. I guess thatt's why my desktop does not offer tips. Somehow the laptop got changed to Windows Spotlight and I didn't pay attention to it. As soon as I selected "Picture" from the lock screen menu the tips went away. Thank you! It's funny but today must be the day for my clearing up problems on my Surface Pro. It finally dawned on me, rather than continuing to fight Outlook 365 and all of the problems it was creating, I switched to G-Mail, using an alais email address and installed DejaOffice for my calendar and contacts. Again, thank you for your help with the Tips!

Ask a Question