Windows Update Platform

Reaction score
Okay, what does everyone think about the new Windows Update platform introduced in Windows 10? Personally, I HATE IT and think that this is going to be the #1 reason why Windows 10 is now doomed to FAIL. Everything else about Windows 10 awesome, but the new Update platform that pushes ALL updates, and worse ALL DRIVER UPDATES and installs them automatically just makes it absolutely awful.

Windows 10 will work flawlessly with my Windows 8.1 video drivers (Intel HD 4600 and NVIDIA 770M) but the drivers that Windows 10 Windows Update wants installs only provide basic display on the main display adapter ONLY. I have tried to repeatedly revert back to previous driver, but everytime Windows Update runs, it constantly installs the same drivers again and again and again. Finally, I give up! I am now done with Windows 10 until Microsoft will get rid of the new Windows Update platform. Windows 10 is doomed to FAILURE! Windows 8.1 with Start8 and Modern Mix make the ultimate Windows right there. No need for Windows 10 anyway.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Okay, what does everyone think about the new Windows Update platform introduced in Windows 10?
Personally I think the "platform" for the delivery of updates, is fine..... Although I will be the first to admit that often the results of what is or has been delivered is less than optimal and sometimes frustrating.
The price of being a crash test dummy I suppose. The first time ever we've actually been exposed to this level of incremental builds. It previous incarnations we've only seen or legitimately gotten our hands on huge milestone builds that were much more refined and closer to a finished product than those we are currently seeing.
NOW.....
Having said that, I have never been one for "upgrades" and have always preferred "clean" installs whenever possible so I am a bit dissatisfied with the availability (through conventional means) of ISOs for installations.
This most recent release "10061" is a far better beast as a clean install, compared to the same, as an upgrade / update. Although I really don't see any actual "doom" in Window's future.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the questions.

Reaction score
Just my two cents but I imagine Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 updates automatically so everyone is on the same playing field. It is after all a preview and we are just testing things for them including their updates. If they let people pick and choose updates then they will not get an accurate reading whether an update has issues or not. I'm fortunate to have two computers running so I pulled the Windows 8.1 hdd from one of them, put in a blank SSD and installed the Windows 10 preview on it. I can just let Windows 10 do it's thing without worrying about wonkering up anything important and if necessary I can just format the drive and reinstall Windows 10. I'm betting that when Windows 10 is officially released that the update program will work as it always has and we can disable the auto update function.

Ask a Question