Windows update shut down laptop

Reaction score
I got an unusual update last night for a Windows update. After installing it, instead of normally rebooting the computer, it simply shut it down. Am wondering why that happened as it always simply reboots after any update.
All else is working well since.

Reaction score
All I see in the View Installed Updates is (KB4056892). Does that make sense? I only see Version1709 but no 192 following.

Open Settings>System>About>OS Build. You will see *.192 if you have installed KB4056892. This is the update many users are having issues with if they have an AMD processor. I take it you do not since you mention that your PC is running fine, correct?

Reaction score
No problems on this computer whatsoever. The other two updated and simply restarted whereas this one shut down. I had not seen that before.
The Version is 1709 of course and the OS Build is 16299.192
I have an Intel Processor as you have guessed. So when you updated, did your computer shut down?
Another question. Why did we get this update now? Don't we normally get them on the 2nd Tuesday of the month?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great questions. No, my PC (see avatar: Dell 13-5368) rebooted right back into the Windows 10 Home screen. This update I believe is Microsoft's "hasty" attempt in resolving the Meltdown/Spectre exploit. I'm sure you have heard of it. The big problem is that the update doesn't work for PCs running AMD processors. No one running that processor has yet to report that the update successfully installed. I have a PC running Windows 7 Pro on an AMD processor and the same update named KB4056894 fails to install. I'm hoping MS is working overtime to fix the update by Patch Tuesday and redelivery it properly.

Reaction score
I've just been looking up concerning the update & before today, actually never heard of anything going on. Strange that it made my computer shut down after updating though, wouldn't you think?

Reaction score
This is happening to AMD users. kb4056892 bricked my laptop twice now. It gets to the Windows logo, then does nothing. Keep shutting down and restarting until Automatic Repair starts, or boot to install media and select Repair Your Computer. "You'll get We couldn't complete updates, Undoing changes", it should then boot to desktop.

The update went fine on my tablet with an intel CPU.

Reaction score
Now that's scary! I've not had an update to give me that type of joy before. Is this something that has happened much to others in the past (or even in the present)?

Reaction score
I wish Microsoft would issue some kind of statement. I'm sitting here with 4 AMD systems needing to be patched. Sigh.

Reaction score
I have Intel processors. Both PCs wouldn't restart after the KB4056892. I shut them down, restarted and the download installed (second time) clicked on "Restart Now" the PCs restarted and all is well. I checked the registry entry and confirmed the patch update.

Reaction score
They've yet to come through on my 2 main PC's (Athlon II x4, FX6300), but did on my dad's Windows 7 machine (Athlon II x2). I'm waiting to do his. I do have disk images for each, just in case, but I'd still like to here something more from Microsoft other than "we're investigating".

Ask a Question