Wipe Windows 10 and start afresh

Reaction score
Hi, I want to wipe my hard drive and start completely afresh. My pc is Win10 free upgrade from Win7. If I start windows installation will it go to Win 10 or 7. I can no longer make out Win7 product code on laptop and have no idea how to install Win 10 again as I have no code for it
cheers Graham

Reaction score
As you have Windows 10 already installed, has been registered by M S with your motherboard.
Download the Windows 10 through the use of the Media creation tool ( internet search will get you to the site)
Be sure, when asked, to select the correct edition ( Pro . Home etc..) You will be given a choice as to which media to download to. Obvious choice is to a usb plug, but you can download it to you pc an mount it there, in order to install
Only precaution, at the start of the installation,, when asked, tick the option “I do not have a key”
The process is then quite straightforward, with a few questions at the completion.

Reaction score
If I start windows installation will it go to Win 10 or 7
It depends upon how you do it, if Factory Reset/Restore you will get Win7 but usually will need the Product Key from the sticker. If using Win10 media such as when using the MCT/Media Creation Tool you should, as mentioned, be good to go. If connected to the Internet at the time it probably will pick up the Digital License and also do some updates or if disconnected can do it later.

Reaction score
If you do a clean install, when you get to the part about the licence key, click on "I don't have a product key" and continue. Just be careful about the partitioning!. ;) As stated above, as long as your copy of Win 10 was activated, you won't need a key!. :)

1599456144411.png

Reaction score
If you feel you may need the Windows 7 key then you can see if the key is in the BIOS:
Run this cmd within powershell with admin powershell “(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey”
Or wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey if using cmd prompt.
Or: Check this program to reveal if there’s a key embedded in the BIOS:

Reaction score
I found that the original on line update from 7 to 10 gave a flawed product. Mostly it took ages to boot and shut down (about 2 minutes), but it was not the fastest running OS in the world either.

My solution was, like yours, a new installation, but I formatted the C drive just before I did the install from a USB stick. And, of course, I had a full backup of all my files. This way, I figured, there would be no hangovers from the previous install either in the OS itself or the registry. It gave a clean system that booted and shutdown very quickly, about 7 - 10 seconds.

The downside of this method is that you will have to reinstall all your other software as well, then reinstall your data files from the backup.

At least you will have the opportunity to get rid of any bloatware and programs that looked like a "good idea" but you never actually use. Although W10 out of the box does tend to install a number of games you will probably want to delete.

If you don't know your product key there are several utilities that will show you it. For example, 6 are listed here , I used Belarc Advisor.

Reaction score
What should one do with a "used" PC LT one I bought with Windows 10 that works fine but don't know if valid key or not?

Reaction score
Try clicking the Start button, click Settings, click Updates and Security, scroll left list and click Activation, should give you whether activated or not.

Reaction score
Right click on start & choose powershell with admin & enter: slmgr.vbs /dlv
This will show a popup showing whether your license is OEM, Retail, or Volume amongst other information.
If it shows OEM or Retail then it’s valid.

Reaction score
Right click on start & choose powershell with admin & enter: slmgr.vbs /dlv
This will show a popup showing whether your license is OEM, Retail, or Volume amongst other information.
If it shows OEM or Retail then it’s valid.
the command "slmgr.vbs" does not work as it is not a script but a program.
Use the command "slmgr /dlv" instead.

Reaction score
My apologies. It now works on my pc as well the way you typed it. I do not know why it did not work this morning. I wrote it exactly as you did and I got an error message that "this command is not an internal or external command" hence my now unneeded correction.
Again: I apologize.

Reaction score
If there are particular problems with the system that require a re-install, then perhaps you can do a repair install. That way, apps, settings, and data are maintained. Otherwise, you do a clean install.

Reaction score
My apologies. It now works on my pc as well the way you typed it. I do not know why it did not work this morning. I wrote it exactly as you did and I got an error message that "this command is not an internal or external command" hence my now unneeded correction.

No problem @Grizzly That happens on occasion.
I may be wrong but I believe the cmd I use is for Powershell while the other which you mentioned was originally for cmd prompt. Both work well in Powershell though. :)

Reaction score
Nice feedback - Thanks

Ask a Question