SOLVED Windows updates 1903 and 1909 will not install

Reaction score
Noticed that update 1903 has tried to install numerous times and failed with Error Code 0x80070002. Recently update 1909 appeared and tried to run that update with same results. Researched this online and found numerous suggestions/recommendations to correct this 0x80070002 error. Tried almost everyone with no luck. Several had me run command prompt ops as admin which I did with one failing to complete every time. I ran the DISM op ( DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth) and get to 84% where it stops giving error 2, DISM log file cannot be found. Ran sfc/scannow and it runs successfully indication no problems. have tried the Windows troubleshooter with no luck. One suggestion was to verify there was in fact a dism.log and I followed the directions to the Windows file, Logs, DISM and the dism.log file is there. I attempted to attach the log file here but do not know how. I did review it and it is up to date showing entries from 8/31/2020 (today). I cannot decipher much of what the log says though but it does appear to be working.

I did not however keep track of everything I tried and I should have. Bottom line, I am by no means all that computer literate and hesitate to get to in depth because I am not comfortable doing so. Several suggestions/recommendations have said to open a command prompt window and type in a bunch of things and I hesitate to try anything to deep. Maybe the results would smoke my computer. Doubtful but still...! Over the years I have gotten brave and attempted several "things" that turned out being total mistakes on my part but fortunately I managed to reclaim my computer with no obvious damage done. Scared the bejesus out of me though. Anyway, if anyone can help me here I would ceratinly appreciate it. I'm beginning to think my only option is going to be either to use RESET for Windows 10 or even a complete reinstallation. I hope and pray not but I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction score
Have you tried to repair your windows?
DISM type CMD select Run as Admin. Copy and paste each tool allow to run some will take some time.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow
chkdsk C: /f
after these complete download the ISO from Media Creation Tool to your desktop.
right-click and select upgrade and keep your files and apps.
This will do a Repair Upgrade Install will keep your files and programs and most settings.
If all this doesn't get you upgraded you'll have to look at your hardware as there must be something there that is not compatible with windows 10.

Reaction score
I have already tried the following:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow

After running these windows update still did not work. I have not tried Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup though so I will try it next. I think I ran chkdsk C: /f but can't recall exactly when. I can try it again though. I download the Media Creation Tool you mentioned but not sure I fully understand how to use it. I believe I am supposed to download the tool and then I'm thinking the 2nd option. I clicked on that option and brought up lots of info to include info regarding the ISO which you mentioned. Here things start to get antsy for me. I read through everything and I do not feel at all comfortable with getting into a lot of this. I already stated I am not all that computer literate and much of what I read is over my head. I think I understand much of it but I am not positive and not being positive could get me into big trouble. Don't misunderstand, I am willing to try whatever I feel comfortable with but this is not one of those things. One very big issue is that Windows 8 came already installed on my computer and I was upgraded automatically to Windows 10 when that was introduced to current Windows 8 users. I do not have a license code or key that I am aware of. I did not get a Windows System disc with my computer and from past experience I know this is where I would have found the key/code as I have owned numerous Windows OS over the years most having a Windows System disc as a backup. I will try the 2 op's you mentioned that I have not tried but don't know that I will go any farther just yet.
I just ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup and it completed successfully. Tried running chkdsk C: /f but got the following message:
The type of file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive
Chkdsck cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
I selected NO for now. I would much rather run the process right now but since I don't know what is running and preventing this I'll hold off until I can get an answer as to my best course of action. Again, just erring on the side of caution.

Reaction score
Well, that is how Chkdsk works you have to reboot for it to run.
You did run all the DISM tools from Administrator mode?
Media creation tool, all you do is download the ISO to your desktop
Once on your desktop right-click it a and open select upgrade and check the boxes for keeping your files and keep your apps let it run. This is called an upgrade Install. your hardware is already registered with Windows activation Servers everyone that has installed Windows 10 has that. Like I said earlier if this doesn't work you have incompatible hardware. fi you want to have your Windows 10 product key you can use this tool https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkeyplus.html

Reaction score
Yes, I ran every op as administrator. I ran chkdsk this morning and it ran with no problem. Did nothing to fix my problem though. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to my desktop and right clicked on it. It loaded a list of legal stuff and disclaimers and the asked if it would ACCEPT or DECLINE. I was hesitant to ACCEPT since I did not know it the op would start running right away and I had not seen anything asking if I wanted to keep my files and apps. I have to assume (I really HATE that word) the options would come up after I ACCEPTED but since I don't know this I DECLINED. Sorry for being so paranoid but I recall having done something similar way back and ended up loosing almost everything and ended up starting all over from scratch. This was a completely different Microsoft OS then but the results have stayed with me. I did download and run the showkey software as you suggested and received the following:

ShowKeyPlus - Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 10 Home

Product ID: Number Deleted per request

Version: 17134.1069 (64-bit OS)

Installed Key: Number Deleted As Requested *

OEM Key: Number Deleted As Requested

OEM Description: Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM

* Default key - requires a Digital License for activation

Does this look right? Anyway, before I go any farther can you answer my questions regarding if I'm on the right track and should I go ahead and ACCEPT and run the op?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You might want to remove the keys from your screenshot.
Have you tried resetting the update components?
Open cmd prompt/powershell with admin & enter:
Net Stop bits
Net Stop wuauserv
Net Stop appidsvc
Net Stop cryptsvc
Ren %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%system32catroot2 catroot2.bak
Net Start bits
Net Start wuauserv
Net Start appidsvc
Net Start cryptsvc
Restart the PC & try updating again.
If this fails/doesn’t correct the problem then click start, run, type regedit & click enter & find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
Try deleting the entries WUServer and WIStatusServer in the right pane if they’re there, if not don’t worry.

Reaction score
Bastet,

Tried your suggestion but all I got was errors and msg stating help was available using 3521 or something like that. Did not keep the poweshell window open and should have. Also got invalid entry msg when I typed in both:

Ren %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%system32catroot2 catroot2.bak

And yes, I opened the powershell as admin. I was not comfortable continuing the op when I got the invalid entry msg's and hoping I would not regret it, rebooted my computer. Everything came back up as normal so looks like no harm done. Went back to my original post to remove keys as you suggested but don't know how.

Reaction score
You would have to remove the screenshot then use paint or photo to overwrite the keys with a digital pen & ink Then upload the changed photo.
I would require the exact error message. If there were errors when running the cmds then Windows may be corrupted.
You have to do an in-place upgrade/repair using the same windows version (or you can use the 1909 iso to upgrade) which you’re currently running.
https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php, download the correct .iso & mount the .iso then run setup.

Reaction score
I could not figure out how to do a screen shot for the data I included so I simply saved the results as text and copied and pasted it. Guess your suggestion will not help me here. As for your reccommendation to use https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php, I have had a similar reccommendation from another individual to use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool much the same way. I opened the link you sent and found it extremely confusing. I have emphasized numerous times that I am by no means highly computer literate and when things start getting over my head I naturally balk. I'm actually beginning to wonder if this failure to download an update is going to do great harm down the road. I am starting to feel like I am digging a very deep hole and pulling the dirt back in on me.

Reaction score
The media creation tool will upgrade you to 2004, as you haven’t mentioned wanting to upgrade to the latest version I didn’t mention it.
You’ll lose out on bug fixes & new features & eventually your current version will no longer be supported.
This is the link to Windows 10 64bit 1909 final build, English Language:
https://tb.rg-adguard.net/dl.php?go=981c4d21 If you require a different language or version then let me know.

Reaction score
OK, got it. Since the update that won't load and run is Windows 10 64bit 1909 final build (guess it's considered final build but nothing states as much) guess your recommendation is the correct one. I did mention from the start that it was the 1903 and 1909 updates that would not download and run and the Windows Update page still shows both as refusing to update with the error code 0x80070002. Also notice that when I open the Update History the error code now shows as 0x80240034 for both. I researched both codes and although I could not get anything solid they both seem to allude to about the same issue more or less. Each recommends running almost the same identical process's although there are some variations. Big question here, if I download (already doing this) and run this ISO am I going to loose a lot of things I already have saved? That would mean files, desktop shortcuts, settings, etc. Years ago I did a similar process with an older version of Windows not knowing what to expect and lost almost everything and I had to basically start all over from scratch. It was akin to a complete fresh reinstall. If this is what I can expect this time what, if anything, can I do to possibly record and/or save everything so I don't have to start all over. I keep a complete up to date backup on an external drive but have never tried to reload from it. I would certainly appreciate all the help I can get.

Reaction score
What is the current Windows version?
You will be asked what you wish to keep if the Windows version is correct then it should allow you keep everything. If unsure then post a screenshot of what it says.

Reaction score
You could use Macrium Reflect to create an image of the computer in case of problems, create their boot media as well.

Reaction score
Yes, I ran every op as administrator. I ran chkdsk this morning and it ran with no problem. Did nothing to fix my problem though. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to my desktop and right clicked on it. It loaded a list of legal stuff and disclaimers and the asked if it would ACCEPT or DECLINE. I was hesitant to ACCEPT since I did not know it the op would start running right away and I had not seen anything asking if I wanted to keep my files and apps. I have to assume (I really HATE that word) the options would come up after I ACCEPTED but since I don't know this I DECLINED. Sorry for being so paranoid but I recall having done something similar way back and ended up loosing almost everything and ended up starting all over from scratch. This was a completely different Microsoft OS then but the results have stayed with me. I did download and run the showkey software as you suggested and received the following:

ShowKeyPlus - Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 10 Home

Product ID: Number Deleted per request

Version: 17134.1069 (64-bit OS)

Installed Key: Number Deleted As Requested *

OEM Key: Number Deleted As Requested

OEM Description: Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM

* Default key - requires a Digital License for activation

Does this look right? Anyway, before I go any farther can you answer my questions regarding if I'm on the right track and should I go ahead and ACCEPT and run the op?
Media Creation Tool this is a Microsoft website and tool.https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
OK, got it. Since the update that won't load and run is Windows 10 64bit 1909 final build (guess it's considered final build but nothing states as much) guess your recommendation is the correct one. I did mention from the start that it was the 1903 and 1909 updates that would not download and run and the Windows Update page still shows both as refusing to update with the error code 0x80070002. Also notice that when I open the Update History the error code now shows as 0x80240034 for both. I researched both codes and although I could not get anything solid they both seem to allude to about the same issue more or less. Each recommends running almost the same identical process's although there are some variations. Big question here, if I download (already doing this) and run this ISO am I going to loose a lot of things I already have saved? That would mean files, desktop shortcuts, settings, etc. Years ago I did a similar process with an older version of Windows not knowing what to expect and lost almost everything and I had to basically start all over from scratch. It was akin to a complete fresh reinstall. If this is what I can expect this time what, if anything, can I do to possibly record and/or save everything so I don't have to start all over. I keep a complete up to date backup on an external drive but have never tried to reload from it. I would certainly appreciate all the help I can get.
You mean you don't have your Data backed UP????? sorry is we didn't remind you. Still, the Repair/Upgrade Install will not remove your data or programs as long as you tick the checkbox to keep your data and keep your Apps

Reaction score
Media Creation Tool this is a Microsoft website and tool.https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Sorry, I don't understand what you are telling me. Is this a response to the other link Bastet sent? Are they basically the same thing?

Reaction score
You mean you don't have your Data backed UP????? sorry is we didn't remind you. Still, the Repair/Upgrade Install will not remove your data or programs as long as you tick the checkbox to keep your data and keep your Apps
In my last response to Bastet I specifically stated I keep a current system back up on an external hard drive but I have never tried to use it to do a system restore or reload/reinstall from it.

Reaction score
What is the current Windows version?
You will be asked what you wish to keep if the Windows version is correct then it should allow you keep everything. If unsure then post a screenshot of what it says.
Windows 10 Home, version 1803, Installed: 5/25/18. More than you asked for but wanted to ensure I did not miss anything.

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't understand what you are telling me. Is this a response to the other link Bastet sent? Are they basically the same thing?
No, I believe she was linking you to a 1909 ISO I was linking you to Microsoft website to download the latest 2004 ISO or you could also use the site to just upgrade its a very powerful safe site. either upgrading with MCT or Repair Upgrade Install are much more powerful install tools and will usually work when MS Windows update fails. I personally do a Repair Upgrade Install for each twice a year Feature upgrades.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my last response to Bastet I specifically stated I keep a current system back up on an external hard drive but I have never tried to use it to do a system restore or reload/reinstall from it.
Well then if you don't know it probably won't restore your system. I only ask as you were concern about losing your data which at the point you are now is possible. To Restore your system OS you need C: full drive Image. Which is highly recommended as no matter how bad you screw your system you'll have a way back to save yourself. Macrium Reflect Free is great program to accomplish this. Macrium Reflect Free
how to back up and Restore Video

Ask a Question