SOLVED Windows updates 1903 and 1909 will not install

Reaction score
Well then if you don't know it probably won't restore your system. I only ask as you were concern about losing your data which at the point you are now is possible. To Restore your system OS you need C: full drive Image. Which is highly recommended as no matter how bad you screw your system you'll have a way back to save yourself. Macrium Reflect Free is great program to accomplish this. Macrium Reflect Free
how to back up and Restore Video

Reaction score
No, I believe she was linking you to a 1909 ISO I was linking you to Microsoft website to download the latest 2004 ISO or you could also use the site to just upgrade its a very powerful safe site. either upgrading with MCT or Repair Upgrade Install are much more powerful install tools and will usually work when MS Windows update fails. I personally do a Repair Upgrade Install for each twice a year Feature upgrades.

Thanks but as the OP is already having problems & as the 2004 update still has several bugs I didn’t mention the tool as I didn’t want to create more problems for them.

Reaction score
You will be asked to accept the agreement but you’ll always have control, it’ll ask you to confirm you wish to upgrade several times so there’s no worry on it doing it automatically without your knowledge.

Reaction score
Thanks but as the OP is already having problems & as the 2004 update still has several bugs I didn’t mention the tool as I didn’t want to create more problems for them.
Sorry. I like your input/posts. But here I must disagree. The media creation tool does, update/upgrade to the very latest build. You are still given the option to keep your data, or a fresh install. no point in messing with earlier builds and then having to move, even further, forward.

Reaction score
I understand however I must disagree also.
We’re trying to upgrade the OP with a stable version of Windows, imo 2004 is not stable enough in this instance for me to offer this build to repair Windows.

Reaction score
.Hmm. About as stable as any software can achieve! Only my experience perhaps

Reaction score
No, I believe she was linking you to a 1909 ISO I was linking you to Microsoft website to download the latest 2004 ISO or you could also use the site to just upgrade its a very powerful safe site. either upgrading with MCT or Repair Upgrade Install are much more powerful install tools and will usually work when MS Windows update fails. I personally do a Repair Upgrade Install for each twice a year Feature upgrades.
Thanks for the info. I am extremely apprciative of the help you and Bastet are providing but I'm getting very confused. I assume you and Bastet are reading each others responses. Both of you are suggesting basically the same thing but using different tools/methods and you are both stating your way is best. Get where I'm going? Before I do anything I have to feel like it's the best way to go and right now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Reaction score
To simplify:
If you wish to go directly to the latest Windows version which is 2004 & has several bugs including slow boot (due to the latest Edge browser version) then download the media creation tool, double-click on it & choose to update now.
If you wish to update to the stable 1909 November 2019 release then you download Windows from the site I mentioned.

Reaction score
Well then if you don't know it probably won't restore your system. I only ask as you were concern about losing your data which at the point you are now is possible. To Restore your system OS you need C: full drive Image. Which is highly recommended as no matter how bad you screw your system you'll have a way back to save yourself. Macrium Reflect Free is great program to accomplish this. Macrium Reflect Free
how to back up and Restore Video
I have a C: full drive image. Since I have never had the need to do any kind of restore from the saved data on the external drive I can only assume everything needed is there when and if it's required. Maybe my best bet would be to just do a restore using this data and see what happens. Back in the "old days" Microsofts OS's had a built in system restore and i have/had used it a number of times. Windows 10 does have something similar they call Reset this PC. It would appear this function works much the same way the suggested methods you and Bastet are recommending. Any input from either of you on possibly using this?

Reaction score
Reset this PC will reinstall the version of windows which the PC is currently running will uninstall all your apps & programs. An in-place repair will keep everything if done correctly.
You may be better creating an image using Macrium Reflect so you’re 100% sure everything is backed up.

Reaction score
I have a C: full drive image. Since I have never had the need to do any kind of restore from the saved data on the external drive I can only assume everything needed is there when and if it's required. Maybe my best bet would be to just do a restore using this data and see what happens. Back in the "old days" Microsofts OS's had a built in system restore and i have/had used it a number of times. Windows 10 does have something similar they call Reset this PC. It would appear this function works much the same way the suggested methods you and Bastet are recommending. Any input from either of you on possibly using this?
I'll back off My input is there, I really don't have any better advice its a matter of which OS you want to upgrade too.

Reaction score
Clintlgm,

Sir, I did not have any intention of causing any conflict. If you review my entire post above a new face, davehc, input his points. When I first posted about my problem I was extremely pleased with your immediate response. As I stated already, I did everything you suggested. Then Bastet input her suggestions/recommendations which again, were extremely appreciated. Then just withing the past day or two davehc input his disagreement with a reccomendation Bastet had made. Between the two of them they had a mini-disagreement as to what the best course of action should be. I just this morning saw this. Now, as I have stated a number of times, I am not a computer whiz, far from it, and I want to ensure whatever action(s) I take are the right ones and now with everyone seemingly being in disagreement with each other...well, this is a real confidence killer. The only other option I have open to me is to take my laptop to our local computer repair place and pay him to do whatever needs to be done. I have completely lost any remnents of being even remotely comfortable trying anything suggested here. My main goal posting was to hopefully "learn" from those far more computer literate than I am and feel good about being able to fix/repair an issue myself. Everything started off good but has since morphed into a many headed monster.

Reaction score
Often two or more users can have a disagreement over another’s suggestion, we all have our own information to impart & if this differs or seems strange then that’s when people ask if the suggestion is right. I have explained my reason for my suggestion. If it isn’t good enough then users are free to follow any other suggestion given.

Reaction score
Clintlgm,

Sir, I did not have any intention of causing any conflict. If you review my entire post above a new face, davehc, input his points. When I first posted about my problem I was extremely pleased with your immediate response. As I stated already, I did everything you suggested. Then Bastet input her suggestions/recommendations which again, were extremely appreciated. Then just withing the past day or two davehc input his disagreement with a reccomendation Bastet had made. Between the two of them they had a mini-disagreement as to what the best course of action should be. I just this morning saw this. Now, as I have stated a number of times, I am not a computer whiz, far from it, and I want to ensure whatever action(s) I take are the right ones and now with everyone seemingly being in disagreement with each other...well, this is a real confidence killer. The only other option I have open to me is to take my laptop to our local computer repair place and pay him to do whatever needs to be done. I have completely lost any remnents of being even remotely comfortable trying anything suggested here. My main goal posting was to hopefully "learn" from those far more computer literate than I am and feel good about being able to fix/repair an issue myself. Everything started off good but has since morphed into a many headed monster.
Please accept my apologies, actually were all telling you the same thing just slightly different approaches. Since you were unable to Repair your current window to a point where it can run WU, All ending with your doing a Repair/Upgrade Install and how to save your files and Apps/programs. Either from where you are, to either 1909 previous or current 2004 Windows

Reaction score
Please accept my apologies, actually were all telling you the same thing just slightly different approaches. Since you were unable to Repair your current window to a point where it can run WU, All ending with your doing a Repair/Upgrade Install and how to save your files and Apps/programs. Either from where you are, to either 1909 previous or current 2004 Windows
No need for apologies. It was very nice to have several people interested in providing the help I was after. The biggest problem though is my complete lack of solid computer literacy. I'm nor belittling myself but simply put I was simply attempting to soak in the knowledge both you and Bastet were trying to impart but my limited computer knowledge reared it's ugly head. I have to get this issue fixed and I am trying to do it with your, both of your, help. I am still open to how to accomplish this. As I have gathered so far each of you have recommended 2 different paths leading to the same outcome but there seems to be a conflict on which path is best. On one hand I am told that using the Media Creation Tool is the way to go and then on the other hand I am being told that by using that tool:
"The media creation tool will upgrade you to 2004, as you haven’t mentioned wanting to upgrade to the latest version I didn’t mention it. You’ll lose out on bug fixes & new features & eventually your current version will no longer be supported."
Then that response was followed up with this:
"No, I believe she was linking you to a 1909 ISO I was linking you to Microsoft website to download the latest 2004 ISO or you could also use the site to just upgrade its a very powerful safe site. either upgrading with MCT or Repair Upgrade Install are much more powerful install tools and will usually work when MS Windows update fails. I personally do a Repair Upgrade Install for each twice a year Feature upgrades."
Now if this isn't getting confusing enough there was a disagreement between Bastet and another new input from davehc that went as follows:
From davehc to Bastet: "Sorry. I like your input/posts. But here I must disagree. The media creation tool does, update/upgrade to the very latest build. You are still given the option to keep your data, or a fresh install. no point in messing with earlier builds and then having to move, even further, forward."
Bastet responded: "I understand however I must disagree also. We’re trying to upgrade the OP with a stable version of Windows, imo 2004 is not stable enough in this instance for me to offer this build to repair Windows."
And davehc came back with: " .Hmm. About as stable as any software can achieve! Only my experience perhaps"
Can you understand why I am getting extremely frustrated here? When individual attempting to provide assistance start disagreeing over how to accomplish the desired results that does little to boost my confidence level. Bottom line, I have a problem, I want to FIX the problem, I need HELP. Now, please among the 3 of you can you maybe put your collective heads together and HELP me? You all 3 appear to be very knowledgeable but that knowledge is getting lost in the shuffle. If this is not possible then I am back to square one.

Reaction score
Often two or more users can have a disagreement over another’s suggestion, we all have our own information to impart & if this differs or seems strange then that’s when people ask if the suggestion is right. I have explained my reason for my suggestion. If it isn’t good enough then users are free to follow any other suggestion given.
Bastet, you are taking offense because someone else is offering their version of how to fix an issue that does not agree with yours. I fully understand how that can be irritating. However, in case you have lost track of the initial issue I posed I am seeking help on fixing that issue and I am open to any and all suggestions/recommendations. It's not my fault if different people provide different responses. I have stressed about a strenuously as I know how that I am not all that computer literate and the questions I posed are because I am depending on those with the knowledge and expertise to guide me. If this boils down to a pissing contest over whose advice is better then where does that leave me? Right back to where I first started with an issue that needs to be fixed but no idea how to do it. Can we bury the hatchet and hopefully work together? You and Clintlgm seem to have the answers. I NEED ANSWERS! I NEED HELP!

Reaction score
To simplify. If you wish to do an in place repair & upgrade to 2004 which is the latest version of Windows the download the tool.
If you wish to just repair your current version then visit the site I referred to & download the correct .iso. I will be happy to find the correct version if you supply your current Windows build & the language the pc is using.

Reaction score
Bastet, you are taking offense because someone else is offering their version of how to fix an issue that does not agree with yours. I fully understand how that can be irritating. However, in case you have lost track of the initial issue I posed I am seeking help on fixing that issue and I am open to any and all suggestions/recommendations. It's not my fault if different people provide different responses. I have stressed about a strenuously as I know how that I am not all that computer literate and the questions I posed are because I am depending on those with the knowledge and expertise to guide me. If this boils down to a pissing contest over whose advice is better then where does that leave me? Right back to where I first started with an issue that needs to be fixed but no idea how to do it. Can we bury the hatchet and hopefully work together? You and Clintlgm seem to have the answers. I NEED ANSWERS! I NEED HELP!
Here is a detailed tutorial on how to use the MCT and a Detailed tutorial on how to do a Repair/upgrade install with that ISO.

Reaction score
Clintlgm and Bastet...I feel I should explain why I closed this thread as solved. I decided my best bet was to simply turn my laptop over to me local computer repair guru and let him fix my problem. Both of you supplied me with great suggestions/reccomendations but the processes became more involved than my computer illiterate abilities felt comfortable with. Thank you sincerley for being willing to help and I certainly appreciate every bit of it.

Ask a Question