SOLVED Locked out of Windows 10 by wrong user password.

Reaction score
Hello.

I am new to both Windows 10 and this forum.

I attempted to add a (used) Windows 10 PC to the home network. To do that it was necessary to add a password to my Windows 10 ‘local user account’.

My other PCs run Windows 7 and I have little experience of Windows 10. The PC was gifted to me, all data from its previous owner had been deleted and now I am the sole user. As I am the only user I am unable to unlock it due to not having access to administrator privileges.

The PC is a HP Pro Desk 850 G2 with Windows 10 Professional edition (properly licensed, valid and I have the product key). Windows was up to date as of around six weeks ago when I was locked out. (I am slightly concerned that one or other of a number of HP’s support utilities might be complicating the problem by now allowing some possible solutions.)

I had networked the PC and subsequently twice changed the password without problem. I used the networked PCs together for a few days and a day or two later the ‘new’ password was rejected as wrong. The Hint refers to the last password set. I attempted the original passwords but those too were wrong. I can only presume I forgot the password, except one method of resetting it I found on the internet indicated the user account was corrupted.

I had been using the PC only a short time so there is nothing of any value on it. I could simply do a completely fresh reinstallation of Windows 10. However I would prefer to retain the properly licensed and valid installation of MS Office 2016. (Unless I can legitimately reinstall it using only the product key. I appreciate it may not be absolutely 100% legitimate unless reinstalled using the original Microsoft account - in which case I will forego it).

I have attempted to reset the password from command line methods I found in several places on the internet. However one reported user name New User "not recognised" and another reported the user account as "corrupted". (I had not originally set the user name; it was set before I received the PC. I had not (knowingly) made any changes to its settings except adding the password).

I have also been unsuccessful at resetting the password from ‘safe mode’ possibly because if inadequate instructions.
I have been reluctant to try a fix via a Windows 10 installation disc because those instructions seemed unclear.

Can anyone suggest a viable method of regaining access to the PC?

Thanks in anticipation for some assistance.
Nick92020

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I had been using the PC only a short time so there is nothing of any value on it. I could simply do a completely fresh reinstallation of Windows 10. However I would prefer to retain the properly licensed and valid installation of MS Office 2016. (Unless I can legitimately reinstall it using only the product key. I appreciate it may not be absolutely 100% legitimate unless reinstalled using the original Microsoft account - in which case I will forego it).
That would be the easiest way to proceed.
IF, as you have stated the PC had had Windows 10 Pro installed then the machine should sail through a custom clean install with no issues as its' license is recorded on Microsoft servers.

When you are prompted for a product key simply click the link that says "I don't have a product key" and proceed with the installation normally.
When everything is complete and internet communications is established the machine will receive the digital activation from Microsoft and your installation should work normally.

Reaction score
Trouble,
Thanks for the reply, I am in no hurry ( I have other hardware) and would like to explore if a remedy emerges before resorting to a reinstall and possibly losing the Office 2016 suite.

I wonder if a fix may be achieved; using the command line?
Or; Booting the PC in Linux and amending relevant system files?
Or; if there is a way to edit relevant files by removing the boot drive and editing relevant files one of my another PCs?

Regards, Nick92020

Reaction score
Hi Nick,

something for you to read about re-installing Office 2016 should the need arise.

Also, see the following link about re-installing Win 10 and keeping your files intact (in a new folder though!).

To install multiple apps after a clean install, use the following link and select what you want to install.

I hope it helps. :)

Reaction score
Ninite

This is a great program/site for installing software without allowing bloat ware to install with the software.
Highly recommended

Reaction score
And speaking of Office 2016 Wolfie talks about, will that be still be able to be used? I have Office 2010 and support will be leaving soon. Should I install this 2016 now instead? I don't like the new Office that they are touting.

Reaction score
I have rescued a couple of PCs with the Password Recovery Tool from KaranPC. Both times it worked extremely well. You need to create a special USB drive and boot from that. Once booted you can remove or change all passwords as required.

Reaction score
And speaking of Office 2016 Wolfie talks about, will that be still be able to be used? I have Office 2010 and support will be leaving soon. Should I install this 2016 now instead? I don't like the new Office that they are touting.
That is up to you, you can also try LibreOffice which is free and about 99% the same as Office. :)

Reaction score
You can continue to use it as long as you like, it's not going to stop working. How many times have you required MS support since 2010? Likely none...

Reaction score
It'll work for as long as you have it. I'm still using 2007. I recently reinstalled and reactivated it. The only issue is there will be no patches for it.
That is up to you, you can also try LibreOffice which is free and about 99% the same as Office. :)

I would say 85-90%. I've had some formatting issues viewing files I created with 2007.

Reaction score
You can continue to use it as long as you like, it's not going to stop working. How many times have you required MS support since 2010? Likely none...
You are right, Larry. I have never needed support. As long as it will work, I will keep using it instead of adding more software. I also have WordPerfect Office X9, which will work as a substitute, if needed.

Reaction score
Apologies for the delay in responding, it has been a busy few weeks.

Thanks to Wolfie for the advice on reinstalling Windows 10 and retaining existing files.

And particularly to hdhondt and John Steadman for directing me to the Password Recovery Tool from KaranPC.
It looks particularly useful and just what I had looked for, but not found.

I have not yet had time to recover access to the Windows 10 PC but now anticipate that won't be a problem.

I too use Office 2007.
I agree, Libre’s office suite is a perfectly good alternative.
My interest in retaining Office 2016 is simply because it is on the PC which I was given. I don't intend to go out of my way to retain the Office 2016 (unless as it should) it survives intact; in which case I will assess whether it is worth switching to it from Office 2007.

I consider my original question answered – thank you all for all the comments and assistance.
Stay safe and well.
Regards, Nick

Ask a Question