Won't shut down

See

Reaction score
After clicking shutdown, it goes through and Screen closes but power button remains lit. Won't shut down computer completely. Have to unplug to get light to go out.... and be sure it is OFF. What do I do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check your Power Options
Specifically the behavior for Power Button
powerbuton.JPG

See

Reaction score
Thanks. I already changed the settings. Now it sometimes will shut down - other times it won't and I have to unplug it since the off button will not respond... closing the lid does not turn it off either (per my settings).

Reaction score
I have tried this too and problem still exist. What else can i try to sort this out as this only started with the windows 10 upgrade. Help!!!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you right click the windows logo key and choose the shutdown option from there, will Windows shutdown completely?
If you launch an elevated command prompt and type
shutdown /s /t 0
Will that shut Windows down completely?

Reaction score
The solution in the video above from John O'Neill, disabling Fast Start up, fixed my shut down problem.
shutdown /s /t 0 would also shut it down but I did not want to shut down from a command prompt every time.
I have a HP Desktop upgraded from Windows 7

Ask a Question