Won't wake from Sleep or So I thought...

Reaction score
Possibly the power supply needing to cool or properly power off. I had an old PC that would run fine until I shut it down - after which the P/S didn't have enough oomph to power up the disks. You could have an issue with one of the voltage lines not powering back on - thus stopping the CPU from starting, but still allowing the fans to come on.

This is possible. However, the issue also comes up if the desktop went into sleep mode. It wouldn't start up again. I would literally have to reset plus remove ac power plug etc..and wait for four five hours before it starts.

And when it does start all the pages are still where I had left them...even after reset and removing all the ac power plug...so maybe it's not a power issue?

Initially I thought it was a motherboard issue...and I updated the BIOS but the issue is still persistent.

I will try and find a spare PSU or borrow from a friend to see if this is the case.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
If it comes back the same after you have pulled the power, it cannot be going into sleep mode - it must be hibernate.
It could then be a memory issue - but I doubt it as you'd have problems while it's live.

So, my guess would still be P/S or motherboard.

Reaction score
If it comes back the same after you have pulled the power, it cannot be going into sleep mode - it must be hibernate.
It could then be a memory issue - but I doubt it as you'd have problems while it's live.

So, my guess would still be P/S or motherboard.

That is my guess too. I am just hoping that its not my processor as that would set me back a few pounds. Motherboard and PSU would be less dear to replace.

Again thanks for the continued suggestions and feedback.

Reaction score
I got the black screen, too, and couldn't wake up my computer. Or so I thought. Did the shutdown thing and that worked, but was really aggravating. Since the monitor wasn't coming on, I finally decided to just unplugged it, then plug it back in. Lo and behold, my system WAS awake, just not sending a wake up command to the monitor! This has been a consistent solution for over a month. hope this helps someone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Carol and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I have been having issues Windows 10 not waking from sleep. I tried to restart after holding the power button down. but with "restart" it's still at the black screen... Fans etc come on but nothing on the screen.

The only way to start it back again is removing all the power cables etc and wait for couple of hours... or sometimes half a day!

Here is the kicker...when it eventually does restart, all the pages and programmes are still open as they were prior to computer falling a sleep...

How is this possible? It fell a sleep... but if I remove all the power cables and turn it off completely...when it starts again, it should start from scratch? How is it possible for it start with all the programmes still on prior to computer falling a sleep.

Also, how do I sole this problem? I have changed the settings so that my computer won't fall a sleep but sometimes during shut down, the computer takes 20 minutes...and if I start to restart again within an hour...it won't start again...

Please help!

Outside the box a bit here but I have an intermittent problem that some mornings I arrive to find a black screen even though the computer had not been shut down. After messing around for ages I have found that the whole thing wakes up if I disconnect the power from the monitor and wait 20 seconds and reconnect. This does not work if I just try and switch the monitor off. I have to actually disconnect the main AC power lead to the monitor, wait awhile and then reconnect.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I have been having issues Windows 10 not waking from sleep. I tried to restart after holding the power button down. but with "restart" it's still at the black screen... Fans etc come on but nothing on the screen.

The only way to start it back again is removing all the power cables etc and wait for couple of hours... or sometimes half a day!

Here is the kicker...when it eventually does restart, all the pages and programmes are still open as they were prior to computer falling a sleep...

How is this possible? It fell a sleep... but if I remove all the power cables and turn it off completely...when it starts again, it should start from scratch? How is it possible for it start with all the programmes still on prior to computer falling a sleep.

Also, how do I sole this problem? I have changed the settings so that my computer won't fall a sleep but sometimes during shut down, the computer takes 20 minutes...and if I start to restart again within an hour...it won't start again...

Please help!

Reaction score
Hi, My first post so I hope I keep to the rules.
A couple of years ago, win 7 64 bit on an old desktop which was like Grandma's broom.
Had had new bigger RAM installed, a new motherboard, a faster CPU and loads of WD Green HDD's.
Worked very well for years and the normal boot sequence was (If I remember right).
Motherboard entered POST (Power on self test)
There was a beep from the motherboard.
The screen showed details of the video card and it's RAM.
The Motherboard Gigabyte flash screen appeared.
Win started normally.

Then it became faulty.
After switch on there was no beep.
HDD's spun up and fans ran but nothing more.
After removing and reconnecting cables to the motherboard and several restarts (I used the power switch to save waiting 4 secs on the power button)
It might then start normally as above.
The problem appeared intermittently.
Eventually it became "stuck" as described it this thread.
So I disconnected all HDD's except for the system disk and BINGO, restart was normal.
I reconnected the HDD's in sequence and found a WD Green 2TB drive was the culprit.
It was a drive used to archive photos and other personal data so it was easy to replace.
Problem gone or so I thought.....

I upgraded to Win 10, even did a clean install.
Win 10 reported another HDD as problematic.
I reinstalled Win 7 and managed to copy all I needed from the HDD and replaced it.
Installed Win 10 again and all fine.
The HDD's are fairly old, some up to 8 years old - maybe they have a reliability "sell by date?"

During this latest phase, I bought a new desktop with a 480Gb SSD, i3 CPU, 16Gb RAM and about 12Tb Hdd's but this time I have gone for the WD Black drives.
The new machine is blindly fast and the i3 is not pushed hard even with video editing and I love it.

During the HDD problem I learned that WD make HDD's and aim to produce the highest quality, however, when they test them some are perfect and sell as Black high speed etc.
Some not able to meet the highest spec sell as Blue, not quite so fast and
finally others sell as Green, rather slow.
Maybe all manufacturers do something like this?

This might not be the problem here but who knows, it happened to me.
Just sayin.

Good luck in diagnosing and fixing.
Intermittent problems are the worst!

Ask a Question