Word 2010 No Longer Supported

Reaction score
I've been getting a banner on top of my Word 2010 telling me that it won't be sorted after some date soon. I ran Word 2000 for over fifteen years but never got such a notice. It just started acting really weird. I replaced it with Word 2010 used (It had been in use by someone and was given to me after it was deleted from his computers, so I had no problems installing it),

Question: what can I expect after the drop dead date of sometime in October 2020? Will it just quit working, or will it have a useful life sometime thereafter?. It's a student version.

Reaction score
Hi PB,

please read the following link. :)

There is always LibreOffice (freeware) if you get stuck!.

Reaction score
Dropping of support only means that MS will no longer provide online help an support, including updates. As it hasnt had updates for some time, this is not serious.
an unidentified problem is how long will it work from within Windows 10, with subsequent updates to that OS. MS, obviously, having warned users, will not heed protests

Reaction score
I also have Office 2000 on a couple of computers, one is running the latest Insider Preview Dev channel. But I do a Custom install leaving off Outlook, not needed and if any one application in the suite gives a problem that is the one.

Reaction score
Its the same with Windows 7. That support ended in January 2020 but it does not mean that it quits working, just does not get updates anymore and existing holes won't be plugged. Same with Office 2010.
I kind of like to have an Office suite that I bought for myself and not these Subscription models with 365.
I would change over to Libre office, however the formatting of my spread sheets and word documents gets completely lost and I can do it over again.

BTW: when did MS start the subscription thingy, was it with office 2013 or 2016 ??

Reaction score
As far as I know it was with 2016, wasn't a choice when I got 2013 'back then'.

Little mentioned tidbit, the version numbers of the applications in the Office suites did not coincide until Version 2016 and the app versions were 16.

Reaction score
Have a look both work great for me on Windows 10 and on Linux.

Ask a Question