SOLVED Word option not working

Reaction score
Hi all. Word's options, the 'advanced' section, then 'editing options' has a feature called 'enable click and type'. According to Computeractive magazine selecting this option means you can start typing anywhere in the document, with no need for returns, tabs or anything else. When I tried it didn't work, newly typed letters appeared at the last return. Anyone know what went wrong?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pretty sure that they intended that to mean....
An existing document
AND
Not a new blank document.

In a new blank document you'll need to "double click" and area and observe the cursor behavior the lines adjacent to the I-beam should be a clue, if they are at the bottom or the right / left side.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apparently your Word (Office install is Corrupt) mine is set and works fine, tested on 2 different Word papers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Click and Type only works if you are viewing your document in Print Layout view or in Web Layout view.

Reaction score
apparently my version of Word is different. since i have to be in neither, but then I'm also Insider Office.

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. The solution was, as Trouble advised, to double click. The magazine made a mistake, just saying click. Perhaps I should have had the initiative to try double clicking! But anyway problem solved.

Ask a Question