SOLVED WPD Update

Reaction score
Last night I received a huge (5GB+) MS update; Microsoft - WPD - 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762.

I'm curious about the update/download because of its size, secondly it's dated Feb.22, 2016.
Any information on Microsoft - WPD - 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762 and why the delay with the update would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea, never heard of it, haven't had an update to my OS since Feb 23.
5GB is definitely huge.
WPD could mean anything I suppose but is generally applied to Windows Portable Devices.
Can't imagine how that software / driver could involve something of that size.
Does it show up in your update history and if so does it have a KB####### associated with it.

Reaction score
I did check the history no size of update. I just happened to check my monthly data usage and noticed that today's usage was a whopping 6 GB+ a normal day of browsing and mail is seldom above 0.5 GB. I've attached my data usage for the past few days. It was the 6GB for today that got me curious so I checked my update history and the update has to be the culprit. I have since checked further and it is Windows Portable Devices, and have no use for it. Also I'm curious about the Feb 22, 2016 12:00 AM release date. Why now after more than 12 months? History shows Update Microsoft - WPD - 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762 successfully installed Mar 08 17.

upload_2017-3-9_18-49-48.png

Reaction score
I also received this update, and it appears to have caused a 'driver error' so I can no longer access the files on my Lumia 950XL.
Tried updating the 950XL driver on my W10 PC and says problem with inf. installation, so basically the WPD update has broken my PC....great.

Reaction score
I don't understand any of it, just the shear size of the download is beyond belief. Are we the only two members that got stung by MS Android Freeware?

Reaction score
OK, fixed it, only took a day FFS...

With phone connected, and with lock screen open, go to Device manager in Control Panel.

You'll hopefully see the Phone listed under Portable Devices or in the USB section listed as an unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

Right click, and select update driver.
Choose search for driver on my Computer NOT search everywhere/internet.

Look for Portable Device (or was it Multi Port?) drivers.

Click on that and find WPD USB

Select that, then the driver installs and everything is wonderful again, with the 950XL again shown in the PC's File Explorer.

Reaction score
purgeraptor Thanks! I have no use for the MS Android Freeware. It robbed me of a lot of data, it must have installed with error and kept downloading all night long.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Was just reading this
https://www.howtogeek.com/298940/mi...ing-my-pc-with-windows-10s-automatic-updates/
Which stars your wpd update issue and reminds us of some past issues.
I love the title
Microsoft, Please Stop Breaking My PC With Windows 10’s Automatic Updates
AND serves as a bit of a warning of what we might have to look forward to.
The gift that keeps on giving.... it's like the Russian Nesting Doll of "issues", but....
It does keep us "crash test dummies" entertained, occupied and off the streets and out of the pool halls (remember those).

Reaction score
Good article.
Yes! I have no portable devices synched to my PC, I think that update kept downloading with errors each time all night long until it finally installed. It cost me data big time. MS have broken many PCs, hearts and caused many users $$$. MS don't care, they are Teflon coated and to me have the rude attitude of "Well you got Win 10 for free. Sad!

Ask a Question