SOLVED Write protected

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just joined this forum and here's my 1st post
I recently did the win 10 install and now i have a host of issues with operating, such as:
images will not open
i have no option to create new folders
i cannot save items
i cannot download anything
i cannot copy and paste anything to anywhere
if i move or copy an item to anywhere it says "the disk is write-protected"

even if i am saving it to my Micro SD card (which has no lock switch) or if i try to just save it to my PC it just gives me the same message, thank you in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

yes!, do that and it may solve your problem!. BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE!. ;)
Thank you Wolfie for your assistance with this, did the back up and downloaded latest version all working great now, thank you.

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

glad to hear it, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

glad to hear it, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)
evening Wolfie, can you assist me once again, i have just come to save a file (7MB) to my new micro sd 128gb card and it says "the disk is write protected" see attached screen shot, why would it do that? there is no lock on the card and i have tried the diskpart procedure but its made no difference to me saving the file to the card, i am confused (does not take much!)

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 120
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

if it is a brand new card, it might need formatting first?. Is it showing in Computer Management > Disk Management?. D: drive is currently my SD card (via an adapter)!. :)

1607417815685.png

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

if it is a brand new card, it might need formatting first?. Is it showing in Computer Management > Disk Management?. D: drive is currently my SD card (via an adapter)!. :)

View attachment 12823
Morning Wolfie, ok I have just tried to format the new SD Card and got the attached photo message, so I am guessing it must be the Micro SD card slot that may have an issue, yes?

Attachments

• format.jpg
    format.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 131
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

as I mentioned before, it may need formatting first?. See the following links for more info. ;)

3 Ways to Remove Write Protection on an SD Card - wikiHow

[Easily Solved] How to Format a Write-Protected SD Card? (anyrecover.com)
Hi Wolfie, sorry just been on the phone, ok I have tried all those methods and still it says "the disk is write protected, remove the write-protection or use another disk" it will not format until I unlock it, I am baffled by this

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie, sorry just been on the phone, ok I have tried all those methods and still it says "the disk is write protected, remove the write-protection or use another disk" it will not format until I unlock it, I am baffled by this
It may not be relevant but i wanted to share with you these details, having gone through all the procedures of "DISKPART" and cleared it, but still no joy. Someone told me to check the card properties on events tab and it does say there:
"Device not migrated" is this relevant?
In the details box it says "Device SD\DISK&Generic&SD&2.0\5&b4a16c6&0&000000e2&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"

followed by this: "Last Device Instance Id: SD\DISK&Generic&SC16G&8.0\5&25abd05&0&ad9520eb&0
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F020
Present: false

Any ideas what this means? again maybe its not relevant, I am not tech minded enough to know?

Ask a Question