Write protection SD card

Reaction score
I have an issue with every SD card I put into the computer. I wish to put music onto it, but it keeps coming up with the error of write protection. I have done the command prompt fix and that hasn't worked, even if it says the disk attributes have been cleared sucessfully. This happens with every SD card I use even new ones, how can i resolve it?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
All the SD/SDHC cards I've seen have a switch on one edge that is used to write protect them, quite similar to the switch we saw in days of floppy disks. Sometimes inserting the card can move that switch.

Reaction score
All the SD/SDHC cards I've seen have a switch on one edge that is used to write protect them, quite similar to the switch we saw in days of floppy disks. Sometimes inserting the card can move that switch.
That doesn't seem to affect anything :confused:

Reaction score
What format are you using....?
be nice to know exactly what code you used to try an fix... since there are many different.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Write protection issues can be caused in several ways:
  • As Bighorn suggested, the obvious thing to check first is that the switch on the SD Card is not slid to locked position.
  • As you may have already discovered during your own searches for answers, if there is insufficient space to write your music file to the SD card without overwriting another file already present, this issue will occur when the file that is being overwritten has Read-only attributes set. I'm assuming you may have already attempted to make use of Diskpart to select your SD card and remove the read only attributes.
  • If the size of the file(s) exceeds this capacity of the SD Card you can sometimes see this error; which in itself is a little misleading, because it'd be simpler is the message simply informed you, there was not enough space to save to.
  • The music file itself can trigger this event when its protected with DRM technology ( i.e. Digital Rights Management ). If this is the case, the issue is not with the SD Card, or Windows, but the music file itself. Attempting to breach DRM would be unwise as that would be illegal in most countries.
  • Finally, if the SD Card was damaged in anyway, you might also see a rather unhelpful Write Protection Error message.

As Snuffy mentioned, it would be helpful if you could let us know what commands you have attempted so far to resolve this issue.
  • Have you used diskpart to remove read only attributes?
  • Have you used diskpart to format the entire SD card?
  • Have you accessed the Windows Registry to either delete, or modify the WriteProtect located within the DeviceStoragePolicies hive?
  • Have you accessed the Windows Registry to either delete or modify any other location in the Registry, as opposed to the previously mentioned hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceStoragePolicies?
  • Does your SD card already have other files stored on it? If yes what format are they? .jpeg? .docx? something else?
  • What brand is this SD card? Do you know whether it came with firmware installed on it?

Other information that would be helpful:
  • Are you accessing this SD card from an account where you are signed in with Administrator privileges?
  • When you attempted some fixes via Google, did you do these while signed in with Administrator privileges?
  • Are you using one of those all-in-one Desktops where you can stick the SD card in directly to computer, or are you using a USB dock to access the SD card, and if so, what model is the dock?

The more information you can give, the better the chances are someone may be able to help you resolve this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
If the lock on the SD-Card does not do anything, you may have a faulty card reader. Have you tried a different reader yet?

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question