Write protection SD card

Reaction score
I have an issue with every SD card I put into the computer. I wish to put music onto it, but it keeps coming up with the error of write protection. I have done the command prompt fix and that hasn't worked, even if it says the disk attributes have been cleared sucessfully. This happens with every SD card I use even new ones, how can i resolve it?

Reaction score
All the SD/SDHC cards I've seen have a switch on one edge that is used to write protect them, quite similar to the switch we saw in days of floppy disks. Sometimes inserting the card can move that switch.

Reaction score
All the SD/SDHC cards I've seen have a switch on one edge that is used to write protect them, quite similar to the switch we saw in days of floppy disks. Sometimes inserting the card can move that switch.
That doesn't seem to affect anything :confused:

Reaction score
What format are you using....?
be nice to know exactly what code you used to try an fix... since there are many different.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Write protection issues can be caused in several ways:
  • As Bighorn suggested, the obvious thing to check first is that the switch on the SD Card is not slid to locked position.
  • As you may have already discovered during your own searches for answers, if there is insufficient space to write your music file to the SD card without overwriting another file already present, this issue will occur when the file that is being overwritten has Read-only attributes set. I'm assuming you may have already attempted to make use of Diskpart to select your SD card and remove the read only attributes.
  • If the size of the file(s) exceeds this capacity of the SD Card you can sometimes see this error; which in itself is a little misleading, because it'd be simpler is the message simply informed you, there was not enough space to save to.
  • The music file itself can trigger this event when its protected with DRM technology ( i.e. Digital Rights Management ). If this is the case, the issue is not with the SD Card, or Windows, but the music file itself. Attempting to breach DRM would be unwise as that would be illegal in most countries.
  • Finally, if the SD Card was damaged in anyway, you might also see a rather unhelpful Write Protection Error message.

As Snuffy mentioned, it would be helpful if you could let us know what commands you have attempted so far to resolve this issue.
  • Have you used diskpart to remove read only attributes?
  • Have you used diskpart to format the entire SD card?
  • Have you accessed the Windows Registry to either delete, or modify the WriteProtect located within the DeviceStoragePolicies hive?
  • Have you accessed the Windows Registry to either delete or modify any other location in the Registry, as opposed to the previously mentioned hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceStoragePolicies?
  • Does your SD card already have other files stored on it? If yes what format are they? .jpeg? .docx? something else?
  • What brand is this SD card? Do you know whether it came with firmware installed on it?

Other information that would be helpful:
  • Are you accessing this SD card from an account where you are signed in with Administrator privileges?
  • When you attempted some fixes via Google, did you do these while signed in with Administrator privileges?
  • Are you using one of those all-in-one Desktops where you can stick the SD card in directly to computer, or are you using a USB dock to access the SD card, and if so, what model is the dock?

The more information you can give, the better the chances are someone may be able to help you resolve this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
If the lock on the SD-Card does not do anything, you may have a faulty card reader. Have you tried a different reader yet?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new mini pc complete with pre installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i took my 500gb micro SD card from my old PC and inserted it in to the new mini pc but now some items on my 500gb micro SD card do not work??

It has loads of space on it still (only used 7gb out of 500) but now what happens is.....
some images will not open
i have no option to create new folders
i cannot save items to the micro SD card
i cannot download anything to it
i cannot copy and paste anything to anywhere on it

If i try to do any of the above it says "the disk is write-protected" (see image) even saving a simple word docx with just a few words on it to my Micro SD card (which has no lock switch on the side) it just gives me another message, (see image 2) all of the above worked fine and still does on my old pc, the new PC is a ACEPC Mini PC, 8GB DDR3 256GB SSD, Intel Celeron processor
thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 99
  • screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
this your new ACEPC Mini PC, 8GB DDR3 256GB SSD, Intel Celeron processor then the spects on this unit sd card reader will only read 128 gig max according to the specifications on the above web site .

Reaction score
this your new ACEPC Mini PC, 8GB DDR3 256GB SSD, Intel Celeron processor then the spects on this unit sd card reader will only read 128 gig max according to the specifications on the above web site .
Thank you for the reply John, I never noticed this about the 128gig max, as I am new to this tech could you offer any suggestions as to how I resolve the issues I have?
Would I be able move small amounts at a time off the micro SD card on to the memory of the ACEPC Mini ?
Thank you again for your initial response

Reaction score
If this is the problem a way round it

USB TF card reader writer, supports micro sd card, micro sdhc card, micro sdxc card; support for up to 512GB
available on ebay

Reaction score
This is great John thank you, I will look at this.
Just checking the space taken on the SD Card it is 3.1gb Would it work by simply putting the micro SD card into my external 2TB hard drive, saving the content of the SD Card to HD and then attach the external drive to the ACEPC Mini PC and then up loading the 3.1gb to that as it still has over 200gb capacity?

Reaction score
Hi John, or would I be able to save the items on the SD Card to my one drive and do away with the SD Card altogether?

Reaction score
don't see any problems its just that the micro card reader have limits
I use the adapters i mentioned micro to usb and work ok so i can't see any reason why your option wouldn't work ok.

Reaction score
I use the adapters i mentioned micro to usb and work ok so i can't see any reason why your option wouldn't work ok.
Thank you John for your assistance with this, all done as you said and all working great now, thank you.

Reaction score
evening John, can you assist me once again, to make sure everything is all good I have purchased a new micro SD card 128gb size, i have just come to save a file (7MB) to the 128gb card and it says "the disk is write protected" see attached screen shots, why would it do that? there is no lock on the card and i have tried the diskpart procedure but its made no difference to me saving the file to the card?
I wonder have I bought the wrong card for the ACEPC Mini PC that I bought?
Totally confused, which does not take much! haha

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 111
  • screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 98

Ask a Question