SOLVED Write protection problems with C drive

Reaction score
No matter what 'fix' I use I can not turn off write protection on my 'C' drive. Tried the following. Disk clean, diskpart, changed registry, tried to remove read only manually, no matter what 'fix' I use, it still remains write protected, done as administrator whenever possible. It basically affects about everything, in particular I can not scan to save, email, pdf, and I need to have this particular functions back.

I have check the drive all ways to hell, it comes back healthy...

Need a solution, hopefully someone will have a suggestion i haven't tried yet.

It is beyond frustrating..

Thanks..

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you enabled BitLocker?

If you have, then open File Explorer, select This PC, then right-click on your C partition and select manage bitlocker, then disable it for your C partition.

Another possibility is you are using a third party security application, that is protecting your partition. There may be a setting there you need to adjust.

Reaction score
Bit Blocker not enabled, and using Windows defender, no third party app. I also changed permissions, Etc...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is there a specific directory on C drive you are trying to save to?

Have you attempted to create a new directory and see whether or not you could save to that instead?

Rather than assume, also, is Windows 10 installed on the C drive too?

How much free space is available on this drive?

Reaction score
C drive is 256GB SSD with 130GB still unused, it is the OS drive, D drive is a 480 GB SSD with 372 unused. I also made sure 'enable inheritance' was active. I got around the problem by downloading VueScan X64 (paid for app), it allowed me to scan and save no problem. I did the diskpart, D drive was no problem with disabling write protection, but C drive would not disable write protection. More investigation has determined I am not the only one, many references to this annoying problem with Win10...The particular program I use for scanning would not allow creating a new directory even though it had in the past (weird). This is a Cannon scanner and I was using their scanning software. Even though I got around the problem with the third party paid for software, I still want to get the 'C' drive right with the write protection as I am sure at some point it will rear its ugly head with something else....

Reaction score
Looks like you began to get into deep water with your first posts about five weeks ago? Was it after your cloning attempts?

Reaction score
Yup, but it has been behaving very well except for the write protection problem. Strangely, my office docs and excel stuff are not a problem when editing, updating and saving, just the scanner so far. What gets me is I can not disable the write protection. BTW, used Macrium Reflect to clone, hands down really good cloning software, I have been doing this for over 25 years....I did find out that sometimes when cloning this can happen, just can't get it to turn off write protection on the 'C' drive....

Regedit32

Reaction score
I took a look at Cannon's site, and stumbled on to this article there. It may not be completely relevant as the storage of data in article's case is different to your current C drive issue, however, there is some instructions on things to do on the Printer menu itself.

It may be worth reading to see whether it helps you figure this issue out. Or you could go to the site and search based on your specific printer model and ssd drive etc to see if there are other articles.

Here's the article I read:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART125488&cat=INKJET_MULTIFUNCTION&actp=LIST

Reaction score
It is a scanner, not a printer. I use the Samsung color laser printer, it works jut fine and dandy.

Reaction score
I don't know why, but using Powershell as Admin today I got write protection turned off rather failure. Windows is weird sometimes..

Ask a Question