3 windows 10 pro computers and 2 printers

Reaction score
Hi all, I work IT at a local office. they have 3 computers running windows 10 networked with 2 older HP 1320 lazerjet printers. the printers were working fine before we changed the computer names. so we changed the names back, now, all 3 computers only see one HP 1320 printer (which is working fine), if we install the second printer manually, and the second we try to print something the second printer, windows spooler comes back with error msg, and if we turn on and off the second printer, stuff will print that we try to print before. but only if we turn this on and off again. any help or advice would be appreciated. but printers are using the pcl5 driver which has always worked. thank you

Reaction score
Change does bring problems. How are the computers and printers connected?

I have 2 printers connected by Ethernet cable to my Router, 5 computers connected by Ethernet cable to my Router and any number of Wireless/Wi-Fi computers [usually Notebooks] at various times depending upon which I install the software on each as Networked [don't use the Wireless Direct feature].

Reaction score
they are connected to a switch, and the two printers connect ethernet to the switch too, as i said. this was working fine till i touched things.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Consider manually configuring both printers with static IP addresses and configuring each computer to use those IP addresses when sending print jobs to each or either.
There are a number of reliable resources on the web instructing how to configure IP printing on Windows 10.

Generally on small networks like yours with only five nodes (3 computers and 2 printers) static IP addressing is going to be more reliable.

On a network that relies on DHCP, NetBios and or WINS, to resolve IP addresses to "friendly names" there is always going to be an impact by any change in either the IP address or the Name of the node and it will always take time for the name table cache to clear and repropagate so it is accurately resolving again.

Reaction score
ive been working with one computer , laserjet printer 1 is working just fine, but the other laserjet doesnt print things untill you turn it off and back on again. I have used the printers ip address to open the printers page on a browser and i get the HP printer screen, showing me the ip, and that the printer is ready. when you try to print to it, it will pause for 2 mins then the printer will show an error in windows, and then you have to turn the printer on and off to get to print. and i have removed the device and reinstalled multiple times and used exactly similiar settings with the working printer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor to see if it might detect any issues

Are all of the Windows computers 64 bit?
the printer will show an error in windows
Is the error a communications error?

When you check Printer properties Advanced tab, do you have a box that reference bi-directional communications?
IF so, have you tried unchecking it?

Ask a Question