SOLVED Windows 10 Pro Security

Reaction score
ok i have asked for help on this before and I got some, but this time I got win10 pro installed. i put in another hard drive and this time it installed the pro version. i actually got asked what version I wanted this time. i did a check and it activated already.

so I have defender running. before I had the enterprise version and I had tons of issues. i do not believe it was the enterprise version but rather the hard drive. but time will tell now as I installed another hard drive that was formatted with aomei hard drive utility tool. and when I started the PC the install tool came up and asked for what I wanted. it did not de that a few weeks ago when I tried to reinstall on the drive I had in the PC at that time

anyway according to windows enterprise came with a lot of security. so if the pro version is lacking some of this security I can get Norton for free or even avast. but when I asked this question for the enterprise version I was told to leave it alone as windows defender was good enough. I just want to make sure it is good enough for the pro version.

i have 1909 build 18363.592 now that may change when I get an update. or that maybe the build for the pro version.

so before I start browsing I want to make sure I'm protected.

thanks.

Reaction score
It depends on what the BIOs says - if your OEM was Pro then Pro is embedded in the BIOS. and that is what you should get,
now if you have a multi-OS that does not have a ei.cfg or pid in it it should ask you what.
It depends on what your OEM Activated is... you can change versions any time by changing KEY to what version you want.
MS updates to the installed version. upgrade is up to you to chose.

Reaction score
Hi CB,

I would also upgrade to the latest version of Win 10.

Windows Defender is fine for your everyday surfing needs (as long as you aren't trying to hack the NSA lol!). Just make sure you have App & browser control activated!. :)

1591601595793.png

Reaction score
thanks all that is turned on. i ask because in the research it said the pro version only uses defender and the enterprise used a bit stronger security.

and the bios is not true as when I got this laptop it had pro on it. and then last dec I was trying to get the fingerprint scanner to work, some here had me load up a bunch of files and then the PC would not even boot to the desktop, it got the password and or pin and or fingerprint and stop. so I had to do a restore using the thumb drive. and after that started I got enterprise.

2 weeks ago I did a different type of restore and I had to reinstall all the programs and I still got enterprise. and still got all the problems.

so I got another hard drive that I formatted for a backup drive and installed that last night and in about half-hour I had window running. and far I have not had a slow keyboard or hesitation with typing and ten the letter catch up later. or if I use the back key and have to tow it on the curser.

anyway way back last year I was asking about security and some here came back and had me put Bitdefender on and cleaner and Malwarebytes and a few other free programs. in fact, I still have all those running on the other probook the wife uses. and hers runs perfectly.

after about a week if I do not have any more issues then is ill think either the hard drive was failing or the enterprise was not working with this PC. that hard drive I just took out came with this PC. and originally had win7 on it. back in 2012.

so I will leave defender running and do not go to the dark web on purpose but now and then before I would do research and find a site would not open because the anti-virus said it had a virus on it. so without any other anti virus running, I would like to have that same security with defender on the pro version.

thanks now lets see if others agree.

Reaction score
also wolf. i have version 1909 and build 18363.592 for win10 pro and when I had enterprise the version was 1909 build 18363.836.

during the install it told me it was getting the latest updates. and when I checked it told me I was up to date on the updates. so I should be good for now. i do not think I want to go back to enterprise soon because of all the issues I had with it since last dec. thanks

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Question, and it's just for my personal curiosity; Why do you get Enterprise in the first place?

Reaction score
you're not reading it correctly!
i got this PC a few years ago and it had pro on it. it also had a fingerprint scanner. when I first set it up the scanner worked. so I turned it off and used the pc.

then last dec I tried to get the scanner working again. well after lots of win10 forum people gave me hundreds of suggestions of what to do and I dod some of those, the PC crashed. so I did a restore by booting to the USB port thumb drive.

well when the program finished I had win10 enterprise. and then the games began. i asked lots of time about going back tp pro but never could get a good answer.

so about 2 weeks ago I just did another restore and booted from the USB thumb drive and lo and behold I got enterprise again, that was contrary to what everyone told me would happen. well, that did not work again.

so yesterday I took my 500gb back up drive and put it into the PC and again booted to the USB thumb drive and this time I got options for the home or pro version. 32 or 64 bit. i picked 64-bit pro.

i d not like enterprise but when doing a search for what is better everyplace I got to says enterprise is better than pro is. even windows say it is better. and it has more security than the pro version.

so I asked if anyone happens to know why and if I have to get more security than the pro offers. those websites say enterprise has the security by default. and the defender is better than with the pro version.

so no I do not like enterprise better but I had a time getting pro back. i had nothing but issues with enterprise.

so now I have a hard drive with enterprise on it and one now in the PC with pro on it. so if I wind up getting a virus running pro I will install Norton on the PC. thanks

Reaction score
also wolf. i have version 1909 and build 18363.592 for win10 pro and when I had enterprise the version was 1909 build 18363.836.

during the install it told me it was getting the latest updates. and when I checked it told me I was up to date on the updates. so I should be good for now. i do not think I want to go back to enterprise soon because of all the issues I had with it since last dec. thanks
Not everyone is being offered 2004 for various reasons, one being some hardware and drivers are still having issues. You could manually upgrade, but I wouldn't advise it until it's offered.

Reaction score
thanks i'm not going to do anything that does not happen by itself at this time. so far the pro is working great again. enterprise gave me issues from the start. i tried 3 times to get pro back and then it showed up when I installed the new drive.

Reaction score
Defender uses the same virus database on all versions. The only difference is enterprise has a few more features geared towards business use. Defender in pro is perfectly fine for home use.

Reaction score
you're not reading it correctly!
i got this PC a few years ago and it had pro on it. it also had a fingerprint scanner. when I first set it up the scanner worked. so I turned it off and used the pc.

then last dec I tried to get the scanner working again. well after lots of win10 forum people gave me hundreds of suggestions of what to do and I dod some of those, the PC crashed. so I did a restore by booting to the USB port thumb drive.

well when the program finished I had win10 enterprise. and then the games began. i asked lots of time about going back tp pro but never could get a good answer.

so about 2 weeks ago I just did another restore and booted from the USB thumb drive and lo and behold I got enterprise again, that was contrary to what everyone told me would happen. well, that did not work again.

so yesterday I took my 500gb back up drive and put it into the PC and again booted to the USB thumb drive and this time I got options for the home or pro version. 32 or 64 bit. i picked 64-bit pro.

i d not like enterprise but when doing a search for what is better everyplace I got to says enterprise is better than pro is. even windows say it is better. and it has more security than the pro version.

so I asked if anyone happens to know why and if I have to get more security than the pro offers. those websites say enterprise has the security by default. and the defender is better than with the pro version.

so no I do not like enterprise better but I had a time getting pro back. i had nothing but issues with enterprise.

so now I have a hard drive with enterprise on it and one now in the PC with pro on it. so if I wind up getting a virus running pro I will install Norton on the PC. thanks
I chose to add or remove the ei.cfg
Apparently the Restore image was Enterprise, and if you do not want Enterprise and only want Professional, then open the iso, open source folder and add ei.cfg
[EditionID]
Enterprise or Professional
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

or pid.txt
value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

and the key for version is found in the iso, sources,product.ini
or you can simply change key
1591642390399.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi CB,

just to add, have you checked for updated drivers for your fingerprint scanner via your hardware provider support page, you didn't say the model name so you might want to check out their website for new drivers. :)

Reaction score
There was a problem with installing Pro which was giving users Enterprise instead, this is the potential fix:
1. Open an elevated command prompt
Type slmgr /ipk <ProductKey> (Replace <ProductKey> with one of these below)
- The key you found when running oemkey program.
-YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7 – Use if you had Home. Even if you upgraded to Pro through Windows Store
-VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T – Use if you had Pro. Purchased as Pro not upgraded from Home
-BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT – Use only if you have a Single Language edition

Reboot the PC. (Critical step. This will cause an activation event at next startup and will do many ‘background’ tasks necessary for successful activation)

Once in the OEM/Retail ‘channel’ activation will complete successfully using 1 of these methods

1. Automatic - No user interaction required. If the hardware has not changed and they had Windows 10 successfully installed and activated on this hardware, the Digital Entitlement will be found and brought back down to the PC.
2. Activation Troubleshooter – Automatic after customer presses button.
3. Manually changing to a OEM/Retail product key using Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change Product Key.

Reaction score
thanks all for the help. i got the pro version running and so far it is running way better than the enterprise version. the misspelled words get corrected when I correct them and so far no hesitation. i can't say anything about what Bastet says with installing the pro version when i put in a new hard drive that had nothing on it and ran that media installer the I got on the thumb drive it gave me some choices but enterprise was not one of them.

i also go the fingerprint scanner going just like that it started working. i did not have to download anything, but for doing an update on the driver. and away it goes, works perfect.

a few weeks ago i tried to get pro installed on the hard drive that was in the PC and it did not work, i got enterprise again. and still had issues.

so Sunday night i took the hard drive i was using for backups and put it in the PC and ran the thumb drive and in about 30 minutes i had pro going. and now it seems way better, i do not have any issues yet. thanks again for all the help.

Reaction score
As stated By Snuffy you can force Pro (or any other version) with a file:
Create a “ei.cfg” file containing the following text:

[EditionID]
Professional

[Channel]
Retail

Save the ei.cfg file to the \Sources folder on your Windows 10 installation media (USB flash drive).

If you have OEM then change Retail to OEM.
I’ve had to do this as I’ve upgraded to Pro from Home with a Win 8 Pro key.

Ask a Question