Access denied!

Reaction score
I have four computers on my network which worked great in windows 8.1. Once I upgraded all four computers to Win 10, one of the four cannot access my computer on the network. The actual message is, "\\UCSI_Server is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the network administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure, the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

I have already removed the existing credentials and turned off the firewall and Avast to no avail. I am lost. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. I can map a network drive but when I try to access a folder on that drive it gives me a similar message about getting permissions. I've setup all the normal stuff that would have given me access in windows 7. What am I missing here? I figure this might be a similar problem to the one listed above.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
turned off the firewall and Avast to no avail.
It's probably important to note that if you have a third party security suite installed on your computer, you cannot "turn it off" effectively and if it is (and it may very well be) causing a networking issues then you will need to completely uninstall it, using Control Panel -> Programs and Features and then you'll also need to follow that up with the vendor specific and proprietary removal tool (google it.... for instance https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility just type in your security software name and then removal tool (mcafee removal tool, norton removal tool, etc., etc.).
That having been said you will also need to determine if you can ping the other network nodes from each other on your LAN, both by IP address and then by NetBIOS name.

After which you will need to address password issues. New versions of Windows do not like blank passwords on accounts when it comes to networking.
AND
When authenticating to a network resource host you will need to use the host machine name followed by a backslash and the user name on the resource host machine that has the appropriate permissions to access its' resources and then the password for that username on that machine, so.....
If you have a machine on your network that you are attempting to access with a NetBIOS name of Share-PC and a member of the local administrator's group on that machine named JohnSmith, with a password of P@$$w0rd your authentication credentials would look something like

Share-PC\JohnSmith
P@$$w0rd

Also confirm that all your network nodes are members of the same workgroup and that there is no duplication of NetBIOS names, each machine has to have a unique name.

Ask a Question