SOLVED Accidentally reset my Laptop back to Windows 8.1, Can I still get windows 10?

Seb

Reaction score
So I upgraded to windows 10 but I wanted a clean install of it so i figured a factory reset would do it thinking it would have windows 10. But that was stupid now I have windows 8.1 with no windows 10 icon so my question is will the icon come back so I can upgrade back to windows 10 or am I stuck with the older version? Thanks for any support! Cheers.

Reaction score
Use the method below to reinstall Win 10..............................

1. Download the media Creation Toll. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreationTool

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That creates a Win 10 ISO.
You can burn the iso to a bootable media later. For this method, it is not required.

3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps (most of them.)
This method does not require product key.
Activation is automatic.

I used the same method to install my 2 laptops.

Reaction score
A last thing.......
You mentioned clean install.
Let it be clear that clean install can be performed AFTER you have successfully upgraded and activated your Windows 10. NOT before because you will be asked for Win 10 product key which nobody has, and Win 10 will not be activated.

Upgrade method is either via Windows Update or via the method I posted to you.

After successful upgrade, you can then do Clean Install anytime you want, as many times you want, and you will not be required to enter product key and activation will be automatic.

Seb

Reaction score
Thanks that's extremely useful info. I will use the method you posted again thanks for your help!

Ask a Question