Accidentally chose a Microsoft account in Windows 10

Reaction score
This problem is a little convoluted so bear with me

I am disabled so I use speech recognition to dictate my posts because I cannot use my hands.

Before I upgraded to Windows 10, my computer was set in Windows 7 so that I did not need a password login. That way, I did not need to put my password in every time I booted or rebooted up the machine. This account was named Andy. It was the same name when I upgraded to Windows 10 and this account was not a dedicated Microsoft account although I did have a Microsoft password.

In Windows 10, I believe I clicked on a setting that I shouldn't have and I was asked for my Microsoft account password. I put this in and I was asked to put in another name and fill out some other settings as well. This new account with a new name of Andrew (and my last name) required a password but I managed to sort this account so that I still do not need to put in a password if I boot or reboot the computer.

What I want to know is, where did my original account (Andy) go to (the account that was not a Microsoft account?) By putting in a Microsoft account with complete new credentials in Windows 10, does that mean the original account is now obsolete?

If so, can I go back to Windows 7 where I had the original non-Microsoft account and then back to Windows 10 and start again?

Sorry for such a complicated question. I know I can change my name in my account from Andrew to Andy but I just wanted to know if my original non-Microsoft account has gone forever and I cannot get it back unless I go back to Windows 7 and then back to Windows 10 again before July 29th.

I've looked at "Switch to a local account" in which I need to put my Microsoft password in first to come out of the Microsoft account. I cannot see any other accounts if I go into accounts > family and other users. All I have there is a + sign with the words "Add someone else to this PC and "Sonos Wireless Hi-fi system Local Account." Is the Sonos wireless hi-fi system local account the other "Andy" account or is that meant to be there as part of the Microsoft account?

Plus, if you read my earlier posts, this did not happen on my other laptop and I'm still using the original account in there plus I am not getting the screen dimming problem in my other computer that I mention in my other posts in this thread

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if my original non-Microsoft account has gone forever
Your best bet would be to check
C:\Users
See if there is more than one account present
An "Andy" account and an "Andrew" account.

Chances are that the "Local" account "Andy" was just converted to a Microsoft Account "Andrew"
I typically use a "Local" account to setup a Windows 10 install and after I have everything configured, just the way I want it, I then purposely go in to accounts and choose "Log in with a Microsoft account".
That just switches the account from "local" to "Microsoft" which has no impact on my base configuration and does not add or create a second user profile folder in
It simply adds some additional features and functionality to the already existing account, bringing my OneDrive, xBox, Mail, Calendar, People, etc., into play.

I would think that, if what happened in your case, had created a second user, not only would there be a second profile folder in
But you would have also noticed a distinct difference in your overall configuration
The icons on your Desktop as well as the contents of you profile's subfolders... Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Favorites, etc., etc.

Reaction score
Your best bet would be to check
See if there is more than one account present
An "Andy" account and an "Andrew" account.

Chances are that the "Local" account "Andy" was just converted to a Microsoft Account "Andrew"
I typically use a "Local" account to setup a Windows 10 install and after I have everything configured, just the way I want it, I then purposely go in to accounts and choose "Log in with a Microsoft account".
That just switches the account from "local" to "Microsoft" which has no impact on my base configuration and does not add or create a second user profile folder in
It simply adds some additional features and functionality to the already existing account, bringing my OneDrive, xBox, Mail, Calendar, People, etc., into play.

I would think that, if what happened in your case, had created a second user, not only would there be a second profile folder in
But you would have also noticed a distinct difference in your overall configuration
The icons on your Desktop as well as the contents of you profile's subfolders... Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Favorites, etc., etc.

Thank you for replying Trouble. Thinking about it, your post does make sense.

I went to C:\Users and it showed these folders

All users
Andy
Default User
Default.migrated
Public

Does that tell you anything? Have I still only got one user (as I did previously and still want now?)

As you said, if there was another user, the desktop would be different.

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does that tell you anything?
Yep the presence of "Andy" and no "Andrew" suggests that as I suspected the account was simply converted to an MS Account.

Otherwise the list of user profile folders you are showing in C:\Users is typical and normal.

Ask a Question