Account settings out of date in Mail

Reaction score
For some time now I have been unable to use one of my email accounts in Windows Mail because it keeps saying the account settings are out of date and when I try to fix it I am unable to as the password field in the box that comes up for verifying my identity doesn't work and I am unable to enter the password, thus cannot fix the account.

Another account in Mail recently also said it was out of date, but it was no problem to fix it. The box for verifying my identity looked different than the above box and I could enter my password. Why is it different with this other account and how can I fix it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What kind of account is it (POP3, iMAP, Exchange)?
Do you have access to the account outside of the mail app, perhaps through a web interface using a browser?
Can you remove the account from the Mail app and then add it back?

Reaction score
What kind of account is it (POP3, iMAP, Exchange)?
Do you have access to the account outside of the mail app, perhaps through a web interface using a browser?
Can you remove the account from the Mail app and then add it back?

Hmmmm, it is an msn account ([email protected])
Yes, I can access it using a browser which I do.
I tried your suggestion and removed the account from the Mail app but couldn't add it back because the same box comes up asking to verify my identity but the box doesn't work and the password can't be entered.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you using that same account to log on to your computer?
OR.... are you using a local account.
Have you checked
Start Button, Settings, Accounts.....
Is there a verify button there?

Ask a Question