After update, USB mouse and keyboard do not work

Reaction score
On a Dell desktop XPS 8300.

I'm not sure what update ran but after a restart, there are no USB devices available at the login screen (which means I can't log on). Keyboard and mouse work okay if I F2 and look at the BIOS settings but as soon as windows loads, nothing works.

Is there any way for me to fix this? I need something like safe mode before the OS loads.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have a Windows.iso image burned to a DVD at all?

If you do, insert in DVD ROM drive, then restart computer and allow it to boot to Recovery console from the DVD.
  • When it boots you'll see a window. Click Next then on next screen in bottom left click Repair your computer

From there click Troubleshoot > Advanced > Startup where you'll be able to choose to boot to Safe Mode.

If you do not have this ISO, then refer to this Article on how to get one:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-download-windows-10-iso.35/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Here is my latest update, as I start to reinstall W10 on a new computer.

I have never seen an issue like this before, but it seems that this is not an uncommon problem from these forums. It was the latest critical windows 10 update that hosed the computer.

Good news is that all data is backed up. I may even try a full restore from Acronis but that process usually takes days as I have a large drive.

I am no expert but quite knowledgeable. I have W10 media on USB. Repair did not work. Advanced restore point did not work. I was able to create a small temp HD with W10 and install in the PC so I know that there is nothing physically wrong with USB on the PC.

Something in the boot loader is shutting down USB. Even a wifi keyboard (needs USB) won't work once W10 reaches the splash screen.

Unfortunately, the way the W10 repairs work, if you don't have a keyboard, then you can't do an in place upgrade and retain your files. The only option looks like a clean install which will delete everything.

Not a happy camper.

Reaction score
Did you try uninstalling the updates?

Unfortunately, the way the W10 repairs work, if you don't have a keyboard, then you can't do an in place upgrade and retain your files. The only option looks like a clean install which will delete everything.

Not a happy camper.
One reason I always keep a ps2 keyboard and mouse around.

Ask a Question