An interesting observation for a Sunday...

Bif

Reaction score
Once again I should be drinking egg nog spiked with copious amounts of the Captain but alas I find myself in front of a screen,
anyhoo..checked in on my Recovery partition and the date fails to coincide with the release/upgrade of the November build 1511.
If going by the date modified the Recovery partition is the original July upgrade as this is when I performed the upgrade.One would think that it should be the newest 1511 build as this was that last/latest update/upgrade...the date modified should in fact read November not September no?...
Funny how the more nog and Captain I have the less important this all seems...

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Geez man... somehow you always seem to get yourself into that Sunday kind of funk :)

Maybe that modified date is when the dudes in the blue chairs actually finished the compile and then sat around haggling about when (and if) it was safe to release it?

Say hi to the Captain for me!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
..checked in on my Recovery partition and the date fails to coincide with the release/upgrade of the November build 1511.
Is that actually a recovery partition or a folder or something that you have manually created with native or third party software utilities?
IF it is your factory recovery partition, I don't think that a Windows Install, upgrade nor update has the facility to update that, as a matter of fact I have only heard stories about some being emptied by the upgrade.
Not having an OEM machine to examine I have no frame of reference, except I don't have anything like that on my machine anywhere.

Bif

Reaction score
Yep,actually the HP factory installed recovery partition..I had posted a similair question a month or so ago regarding this partition and I'm positive that someone replied that it gets updated by whatever build you are currently running (reflects the current build)..but I'm just on my phone now and it's very difficult to actually search the forum to find that posting.

There's something in that folder!...

Capture.JPG

I really must stop this for looking for "Trouble" ;) on Sundays..

Reaction score
Yep,actually the HP factory installed recovery partition..I had posted a similair question a month or so ago regarding this partition and I'm positive that someone replied that it gets updated by whatever build you are currently running (reflects the current build)..but I'm just on my phone now and it's very difficult to actually search the forum to find that posting.

There's something in that folder!...

View attachment 1674

I really must stop this for looking for "Trouble" ;) on Sundays..
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
that someone replied that it gets updated by whatever build you are currently running
That would definitely be a cool thing and I was not aware that Windows could do that. Hence the name "factory" partition, but it does seem like it would be a simple task to swap out the old install.wim for a newer install.wim.

Although in my readings I seem to remember a remark by Microsoft regarding factory resetting an OEM computer using the factory partition that came pre-installed with Windows 8, and subsequently updated to 8.1 and then 10.....
About how they would end up back at Windows 8, or course that information may have been erroneous or just old information maybe even referencing the behavior of a preview build.

Reaction score
My "Factory" 100 MB recovery partition size remains unchanged (Windows 7) but a new 450 MB recovery partition is added when I installed Windows 10 (not the upgrade). Here is the shot when viewed on the Windows Disk Management Tool and a different result when viewed on the Mini Tool Partition Utility.

upload_2015-11-29_17-7-9.png
disk.PNG

Reaction score
Disk image recovery partitions need more space than 500MB.

Minimum average space needed for Windows disk image backup:
  • 4GB for WinXP
  • 8GB for Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10
The 100MB is referred to as a Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). And the 450MB partition is often only OEM recovery tools not an image backup.

Reaction score
The 450 mb hidden partition is a normal default when upgrading. It is there for recovering back to your previous OS. The size, if and when you recover, will in the progress of the recovery, expand to accommodate the old OS
I am not familiar with the mini tool you are using, but, in my case, having committed to Windows 10, I removed it with Eusus and regained that very small piece of estate.

Reaction score
The 450 mb hidden partition is a normal default when upgrading. It is there for recovering back to your previous OS. The size, if and when you recover, will in the progress of the recovery, expand to accommodate the old OS
I am not familiar with the mini tool you are using, but, in my case, having committed to Windows 10, I removed it with Eusus and regained that very small piece of estate.
Thanks, that's helpful, I just removed the 450 MB partition and Windows old (Win7) too. Having familiarized myself with Windows 10, Windows 7 is just as redundant as all the early operating systems. I am moving ahead and not looking back.

I was advised early on that the best course was to always use the latest technology. That advise was in reference to hardware but I think it also applies to software.

Last edited:

Ask a Question