SOLVED Anniversary update broke Windows Update

Reaction score
The Anniversary Update ran without issues. However, after the upgrade I could no longer get Windows Updates. I am on a metered connection with 30 GB of data. This is a desktop, so my only connection option is the local cell tower. Prior to the Anniversary build, I could check for updates manually. When the update utility noted that I was on a metered connection, I clicked the button to proceed and all ran ok. Now, when I check for updates, it starts the download and freezes at 0%. I am still able to get Windows Defender updates by running those directly from Defender, but need to correct the overall update issue.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi jimjek,

It's possible the folder that stores downloaded updates prior to them unpacking has become corrupted.

By deleting or renaming this folder, then shutting down and restarting computer, Windows will create a new folder which hopefully will see your Windows Update service back up and running normally.

To be able to rename or delete this folder the Windows Update Service and BITS service both need to be stopped which can be done via an elevated command prompt using the net stop command, however, some users report trouble doing this, so a simpler way around this is to boot into Safe Mode when these Services will not be running and thus do not require stopping first.

So give this a go and report back on how things work out for you as there are other options if this does not help resolve your issue.
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • This will open the System Configuration window. Select the Boot tab then check the box next to Safe boot and ensure Minimal is also checked as in sample image below.

sb.png

When ready click OK

Another window will pop up like so:

sb2.png

If you have no important files open that are not saved click Restart, otherwise click Exit without restart, then close open programs you need to save files in first, then shut down computer and restart.

Either way the computer will next boot into Safe Mode Desktop

• Once booted into the Safe Mode Desktop you need to open File Explorer
  • Inside File Explorer navigate to C:\Windows
  • Inside the Windows folder scroll down and right-click on the folder named SoftwareDistribution then select either Delete or Rename.
  • If you chose to rename the folder, rather than delete it, then rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old

• Now that you have either deleted or renamed this folder close File Explorer
  • Next Right-click on Start and then left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • When the System Configuration window opens select the Boot tab then remove the check in the box next to Safe boot and click OK
  • You can now shut down computer again.

When you restart your computer will boot as normal to the lock screen / login page and you can log back in to a normal Desktop and test whether your Windows Update Service now runs normally.

Report back on your progress and if more help is required I or someone else will respond.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32. I deleted the Software Distribution folder per your instructions. After the restart, I checked for updates again. It briefly flashed that there was a 1607 update, and that the Malicious Software Tool would also run. But the screen once again stayed at 0%. Before the Anniversary version, I would see a button that noted that I was on a metered connection, and asked me to click it if I wanted the downloads to proceed. That button is not there for the Anniversary edition.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 607
Reaction score
Did you check the option for Metered connections and/or whether it is set to allow downloads over such connections?

Reaction score
Saltgrass, I don't have a choice to set whether I'm metered, or not. I don't have WiFi for this desktop, and it recognizes that I have a USB device for a cellular connection - thus lists me as metered. If I go to device settings, there is an option to "download over metered connections". I have that turned on.

Reaction score
It does seem you system configuration will prompt Win 10 to offer different options for that specific configuration. Since I don't have your device, I can only see the ones for Ethernet and Wi-Fi.

If you go to the Network settings are there is an option to manage networks which may have an on/off switch for metered or not, but as you say, you already have it set to download.

I have seen times when I download updates when nothing appears to move for some time. I like to watch the Performance section on the Task Manager to see if the internet is being accessed.

The only other thing that might be new is the Active Hours setting. It seems to only effect when a system can be restarted to install updates but there may be a bug so try changing those hours to see if it helps.

Otherwise, I can't think of a reason why the latest build would be different from the previous one but I don't have your device to test. I don't suppose it has anything to do with your cell phone provider...

Reaction score
Saltgrass, I did leave the update windows active overnight, and there was no progress. I also did try to change the Active Hours setting, and it didn't help. This isn't a global download problem, because I can manually download programs, and also the Defender updates. It's just a problem with the way Windows Update is behaving after the Anniversary download. I guess that I'll call the Help Desk next week.

Reaction score
I contacted the MS Help Desk, and 1st tier support refreshed all Windows Update settings and reregistered components. That didn't help. They elevated to 2nd tier support, and did decide that the Anniversary Update may have broken Windows Update for users with metered connections. Sadly, they were also unable to help. They did send a report on up the line, but no clue how they could fix a Windows Update issue when they can't feed it to us through Windows Update :).

So I checked more options. Since my current USB device had an upgrade available per the ATT plan, I changed to their Velocity device, which creates a personal hotspot for WIFI. That fixed everything. Windows no longer considers my connection metered. That part is actually pretty humorous, because the device uses the same cell tower for its signal, and also uses the same data plan with the same limits. But Windows Update is once again working properly, so I'm calling this one resolved.

Ask a Question