Audio Drivers on Dell Inspiron 17r 5720

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and lost my audio output device. I don't know much about computers so could someone help me get audio back? Let me know.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Checking here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-17r-5720/configuration
I find.......
Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade
Dell has not confirmed that this product can upgrade to Windows 10. Some drivers, firmware, applications, and connected devices may not work as you would expect.
So I have to ask, did you use the Get Windows 10 (GWX.exe) icon in the bottom right corner near the clock to check for compatibility issues, prior to upgrading to Windows 10?

What does device manager say about your installed "Sound, video and game controllers"?
What is there?
Are there any indications in device manager of "Other" items or device marked with problem indicators?

If it's a driver issue then you can go to dell support and plug in your service tag number and go to drivers and software and you may have to switch to Windows 8.1 in the OS selection to get
IDT High-Definition Audio driver

Other than that, right click the speaker icon down near the clock and choose playback devices and confirm that your "Speakers" are set to default and associate with the correct device.
In my case it says "Speakers" and then SB Audigy right below that.

Reaction score
Hope you got this fixed - I had the same issue - upgrade windows 10, everything but audio working.
Strange symptoms - device manager showed device all ok but sound icon in system tray with X...clicking the icon lead to windows 'detect/repair' which then reported no audio device found! reboot...rinse and repeat
But 'Trouble' hit the nail on the head for fix - use the windows 8.1 driver.
In fact you probably have a copy of it, but don't know it, as I did...In file explorer change to the view tab and tick 'hidden files' - then you'll see the 'program data' folder on your C: -
C:\ProgramData\Dell\Update\Downloads\DRVR\IDT High-Definition Audio driver
The file you're looking for in there or via the Dell drivers/downloads 8.1 drivers is:
"5460_Audio_Driver_HCMKP_WN_6.10.0.6426_A00.exe"

I also had to do this again after the latest windows 10 update!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Deadun.
AND
Thanks for sharing your specific experience, hopefully others will also find it helpful.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question