SOLVED Background Slideshow (digital picture frame)

Reaction score
I have thousands of pictures from backpacking trips and wanted to use a monitor as a large digital photo frame. It's now on the wall behind my desk, connected to my laptop via a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter (monitor 3). I have set up the windows background slideshow thing so that it rotates pictures every minute. So... my monitor on the wall acts as a digital picture frame - exactly what i wanted.

ISSUE: It doesn't seem to be rotating through all of the pictures - some of the same ones keep coming up. (I can walk through exactly how I set this up if necessary. It wasn't intuitively obvious.)

QUESTION: Is there a limit to the number of pictures that slide show can handle? Anyone else doing this that has tips on how to improve it, etc?

The files are all in folders naming the specific hike and location. Is there a way I can automatically have the pictures on the monitor include a caption with the folder name?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi ChuckS,

I have never done it but I think if you open the Windows app "Fotos" and add a collection of folders and try that app. I don't know if it will work though as I have never used it?. Maybe if you nose around in the settings of the app, it may let you show the names of the folders?.

Reaction score
I found a reference somewhere to Johns Background Switcher (free software) that does exactly what I was trying to make happen with native Windows functionality. It's quite good, has an intuitive interface, works with subfolders and seemingly large numbers of pictures, and can caption with folder name or picture name - and most importantly, has a creator who responds to customer service questions. It is supported by donations (to which I gladly contributed!) So if you're looking for variety in your background images from any source of photo, this may be your answer. Highly recommended.

Ask a Question