Backup Experience

Reaction score
After the recent update I had some problems and decided to reset my system. For some reason I could not boot from my bootable backup drive or a bootable USB drive. I have software which came with the external drive and it previously backed up and created the bootable USB drive. So, I reset the pc and of course it wiped out all my programs like the backup drive software, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, etc. etc.. I reloaded the software for my backup drive and then was able to restore from the image which I had previously created. Of course I had to get the update again but it went well yhis time. All the programs were there and my system is operating flawlessly once again. The image backup was a lifesaver.

I highly recommend the external usb backup drive for recovery purposes. It was extremely easy to create the bootable image backup (for recovery) and keeps a running backup as well. There are numerous ways to create a backup but this was just too easy and, as it turned out, worked well for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We have seen a few folks now which say they cannot boot from their Recover drive. Whether or not you copied over the System files may be important, but the drive should boot. I suppose I need to try one of mine to confirm. Microsoft has messed up the UEFI bootable device before. Since that process has been modified, there may be some problems.

You need something bootable even in order to recover a System Image.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Always nice when some things turn out good for a change, although......
I think I would be looking into, why the system was unable to boot from the other bootable resources.

Reaction score
Always nice when some things turn out good for a change, although......
I think I would be looking into, why the system was unable to boot from the other bootable resources.
What happened was the recent update. Now after installing my image backup and updating once again, I have no problem booting from the external hard drive or my USB bootable drive. I do not know or care how the update did that. If we knew why the update does crap like that, It would fix a major problem for Microsoft and all of us who get screwed by the updates repeatedly.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting that the update would have impacted your ability to boot from external media, as those options are generally a BIOS process involving, evoking a boot menu pre-Operating System bootstrap handoff.

Reaction score
Interesting that the update would have impacted your ability to boot from external media, as those options are generally a BIOS process involving, evoking a boot menu pre-Operating System bootstrap handoff.
Not the first time an update has impacted my BIOS. Also see my revised remarks above.

Ask a Question