Battery will not recharge

Reaction score
Windows 1902 build 18362.476

Have 3 PCs running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - all have the same problem - the battery will not recharge unless I bring them some where else - I plug them in at a different location and the icon on the taskbar says Plugged in Charging and the batteries charge. At home I can run them until the battery goes dead. What's going on? I paid my property tax. Why wont my PCs recharge at my house?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll assume you've tried multiple wall outlets in your home.
I'll also assume that you are bypassing any power strips or other such device(s) (surge suppressor, line cleaner, etc.)
SO....
Have you checked your outlet(s) with a multi-meter to confirm that they are delivering the expected voltage?

Reaction score
I did not check the electricity with a meter but all three were plugged into a live electrical cable.

After I brought them home yesterday the batteries were fully charged. I ran them on their battery. When I went to bed I plugged 2 into an electrical socket and this morning they were fully charged. The other would not recharge. The battery icon on the 2 that recharged said Plugged-in. When I took them to another location and plugged them the icon said, Plugged-in Charging.

Right now: (1) on this computer the battery icon says 1 hr 50 minutes remaining (83%}. I just plugged it in and the icon says 16 min to full charge. (2) another says Fully Charged. (3) I just plugged the other computer, the one that would not recharge last night now it is charging.

o_O

Reaction score
I did not check the electricity with a meter but all three were plugged into a live electrical cable.

After I brought them home yesterday the batteries were fully charged. I ran them on their battery. When I went to bed I plugged 2 into an electrical socket and this morning they were fully charged. The other would not recharge. The battery icon on the 2 that recharged said Plugged-in. When I took them to another location and plugged them the icon said, Plugged-in Charging.

Right now: (1) on this computer the battery icon says 1 hr 50 minutes remaining (83%}. I just plugged it in and the icon says 16 min to full charge. (2) another says Fully Charged. (3) I just plugged the other computer, the one that would not recharge last night now it is charging.

o_O
It really sounds to me you are having a electrical issue... If you can not test your voltage properly or have the knowledge to have a new socket installed... I honestly recommend you have a Licensed Electrician come and test every outlet and then test you master voltage.
do remember that 110vt is not reallly 110 it is 120vts, and 220 vts is really 240 vts. Low voltage in the winter time is very common and has/can cause major issue such as fires.

Reaction score
Snuffy, the computer I was writing on stopped charging I tried a different outlet it didn't work there either, then I plugged it into an outlet that was grounded and it stated to recharge.

Reaction score
I have two computers recharging from grounded outlets, but I had to try several grounded outlets before finding one that worked and they don't all charge from the same one. I guess I need an electrian.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For clarification
Are all three laptops?
Are all three identical?
Are all three using their own dedicated charging system or are you attempting to use the same charger on all three?
Do all three have easily removable batteries and have you confirmed that all three are snapping firmly in place and locking?
How old are these "computers"??

Reaction score
All 3 are laptopes, 2 are HP Elitebook 8460p, 1 is HP Elitebook 8440P
Each has 4-8 GB RAM, SSD, either i7 and i5 processors and were built to military durability standards
Each has own charging system and cable/adapter
Each has easily removable battery that snaps in place
They are more than 7 yrs old

Reaction score
Don't know where you are but our local ACE hardware store carries an inexpensive circuit tester for checking 3-wire outlets for proper grounding and polarity, saves me some trouble by having one in my toolkit when I visit clients' places. Also having a phone line tester is good, for the same reason.

Reaction score
Bighorn, thanks for the advice. Everything works to a degree, its nice to know what degree. I plan to buy a circuit tester and a phone line tester.

Ask a Question