SOLVED Black screen with blinking cursor bar before booting into window just after Bios page

Reaction score
Hello!!
I recently upgraded to window 10 from window 7 with iso file. I didn't had internet access then, but my window run successfully. Later, when i tried to attach another display with Laptop it did not detect it. So, i installed the windows updates. But after installing i was unable to boot into windows. A black screen with blinking cursor appears right after the Dell Logo. I am only able to go into bios setup by pressing F2, no safe mode option. I tried making a bootable Pen drive for repair but even it wasn't detected. I already change the boot priority in bios menu.
Therefore i am unable to fresh install the window as laptop cd drive is not functioning from quite some time.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I tried making a bootable Pen drive for repair but even it wasn't detected. I already change the boot priority in bios menu.
It's possible that the "Pen drive" you created was not correctly configured to support your system's BIOS.
Newer computers have something called UEFI BIOS and in order to boot from the installation media on a USB ThumbDrive, it needs to be configured properly.
Try using Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/
And burn the ISO to the ThumbDrive using the following settings.

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, sir.
I was already using Rufus 2.5 portable. Now, i again tried with the options instructed by you, but it didn't work.
I have Dell Studio 1537 laptop purchased in 2009. I do not have much knowledge over bios, but it seems to be the root of my problem. I have read other posts regarding this laptop being unable to go in safe mode.
I have already set my bios to default values. If you wish i can upload snaps of various tabs of Bios menu, next time.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Sir...your solution worked for me. Earlier, when i tried your suggestion, i have already reset my bios which changed boot priorities so bootable PD didn't get priority. Though, with this startup repair couldn't find anything but resetting window 10 with keeping my files saved the day.

Ask a Question